turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jerrydvea-gmail-
Returning Member

When I submit my 2022 tax return next year, I plan to buy iBonds with my federal refund. How do I buy paper iBonds when I file a paper return? Thanks

Because I take a QBI safe harbor deduction, I can't file electronically.  
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

When I submit my 2022 tax return next year, I plan to buy iBonds with my federal refund. How do I buy paper iBonds when I file a paper return? Thanks

If you file a paper return, use Form 8888, Allocation of Refund (Including Bond Purchases)PDF. The instructions explain what you need to do.

Your tax prep software will generate the same forms and schedules for you , based on your elections,

whether you e-File or file on paper.

@jerrydvea-gmail- 

jerrydvea-gmail-
Returning Member

Thank you.  I understand form 8888 is the iBond form.  

I want Intuit to provide a how-to method of buying Ibonds when I use Turbotax to generate my mail-in tax docs, then buy paper IBonds with my refund.  

The concern is that the IRS would have issues with generating my tax forms with Turbotax, then adding form 8888 and mailing them in together.  Intuit should provide a step-by-step method for buying Ibonds with mail-in tax forms generated using Turbotax. 

Thanks.   

jerrydvea-gmail-
Returning Member

Yes.  I tried following those steps in Turbotax and there is no option for purchasing Ibonds when I follow those steps but select filing through mailing a paper return.  

why do you want to file a paper return?

because the IRS is so woefully backlogged,  it may take 6-9 months for that to be processed..... I suspect the i-bond purchase will be delayed that long as well.

@jerrydvea-gmail- 

" there is no option for purchasing Ibonds when I follow those steps but select filing through mailing a paper return.  "

I don't know it this is really the case (it shouldn't be), but,

If this is true, select e-File but stop at the "TRANSMIT RETURN" step. (You'll have to be careful. you can ensure it will fail by entering the wrong non-zero AGI)

Always print a copy of your completed tax return for your records, and review it carefully before e-Filing (or mailing).
You will need it if you are audited by the IRS, or to amend if a TurboTax update changes your return or for any other reason,

AND, to find your AGI next year.

Print two copies, one for mailing at the Post Office.

Verify your refund is reduced by the amount assigned to bonds.

OVERRIDE is available in the desktop version for tax filers who are willing to forego e-Filing.

I don't understand why you are concerned about inserting a Form or Schedule.

You'd have to adjust your refund on 1040.

@fanfare @jerrydvea-gmail- - I suspect the IRS is going to put a lot of emphasis on e-filing for the next tax season and attempt to eliminate situations that preclude e-filing.  They have acknowledged that the bane of their existence is paper submissions. 

So

1) I wouldn't assume that just because a situation required paper filing for the 2021 tax season means that the same situations will require paper filing in 2022

2) and again, if you can efile, do it.  No sense waiting months and months for a refund via paper filing if efiling is available, esp. if you want that money to be earning a higher rate of return that the IRS offers for delayed refunds (5%). 

@NCperson 

Such action by IRS would make too much sense.

You are an optimist.

jerrydvea-gmail-
Returning Member

FYI, I'm not sure this was posted in my original message, but I paper file because I can't efile because I take the QBI safe harbor deduction.  QBI safe harbor is not supported with Turbotax efile. 

FYI, I spoke with someone at Intuit.  I think I'm all set.  I just need to add form 8888 in turbotax to my return, then print.  

Thanks, 

Jerry

@jerrydvea-gmail- - yes, and my only point is that even though you could not efile your 2021 tax return, it may be possible to efile the 2022  tax return next year even with the same circumstance - the IRS is going to be focused on reducing the number paper files they receive - some of which is caused by their precluding certain situations, such as  you experience. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies