Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When filing my CA state taxes it's stating my tax forms aren't ready (Form 3801). Where do I find this form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies
EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

When filing my CA state taxes it's stating my tax forms aren't ready (Form 3801). Where do I find this form?

Please take a look at the California State Forms Availability list; as you will see here, form 3801 will be available on 3/3/22.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Updated: Thanks for the explanation. I understand that after the forms are delayed by federal and/or state agencies, it takes time to have it available within the Turbo Tax program - tax returns are complicated and you can't just stick a new form in without a lot of editing and testing of the software. Thanks for your work. 

Previous: When I check the FTB site for forms, the 2021 form 3801 is available now. It says nothing about waiting another month.

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

This form is set to be available 3/3/2022. For your convenience a California Form table has been provided by clicking here

2021 form 3801 is available on the Franchise Tax Board website

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/Search/Home/Results

bearcat22

If form 3801 is available now, why can't turbotax import it now....why do we have to wait until 3/3/22?

FLuna

I too found the form on line. Why can't turbotax update the software until a month from now? I had to hold off on filing my state tax return because of this. See link below to the form.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2021/2021-3801.pdf 

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

The IRS started this tax season pretty far behind.  That kind of delay flows down to the states.  So the IRS finalizes their forms and then the states finalize their forms.  And then the TurboTax programmers get the forms and have to integrate them into the TurboTax program.  Then there is testing to make sure that the newly added forms work with the program properly.  Then they are rolled out to the public.  As inconvenient as the waiting is it will still get your tax return processed faster than paper filing it.

Form 3801 for taxable year 2021 is available NOW!!! and I want to file my California State tax return today!    I have downloaded the form, would TURBOTAX team like me to email it to them?  or email the link?    I do not want any further delays (I want my $$$)   thanks in advance for your support and cooperation!

Has Form 3801 been updated?

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the Help Article here for State Form Availability.

Like was said above, the form needs to be converted into software (which is likely not just additions, but also changes to existing code) and the software needs to be tested, and then it needs to be delivered for distribution.  All these steps take time.  I'm a software developer, and I swear, the people telling me to hurry will be the same ones complaining the most if I rush and make a mistake.  If Intuit is any good, they have one team of people to determine the new requirements, another team to code the new requirements, and a third team to test.  And then another team for distribution.  It takes time to get right and you *do* want it to be right.

Billy52

I can't efile my taxes because the California 3801 won't be available in TT until 3/3/2022.  But why is that holding me up?  I don't have a passive activity loss.  For at least the last 14 years my rental unit has shown a profit and not a loss.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@Billy52  Form 3801 is also generated by passive activities with a net gain.  

...and yet, if you search online, the form is indeed available, but Turbo tax doesn't have it...

OK, I now understand it does take time to update it all and I am not sure when this CA form was made available, but it does seem to be quite a long time to wait and be able to file. I have 3 returns I would like to file now and will have to wait 3 more weeks.  Also, it doesn't indicate date of form availability in the program, just that they can email you when its available.  I haven't had this happen with TT before. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies