turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kmpham1
Returning Member

When covered by both a family HDHP and a self HDHP, which one should I report?

I was covered by my parents' family HDHP for all of 2019. On top of this, I had my own HDHP starting in April 2019. I cannot be claimed as dependent, so I have my own HSA. 

When I get to the question that asks, "What type of HDHP coverage did you have?", should I answer with 

1. I was covered by a Family plan every month of the year (true)
  2. I was covered by a Self only plan every month of the year (false, since it started in April 2019)
  3. I had different plan types at different times of the year (true) 

If I pick #1, it moves on, and it looks like I'm able to contribute up to the family limit of $7,000.

If I pick #3, I'm asked to select what coverage I had for each month, in order to calculate a max contribution limit. There's an option for Self Only, Family Plan, and None, but nothing for both Self Only and Family Plan.

Which option should I be picking? Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

For this answer, I'm going to assume your employer paid for your HSA once you started working there in April (paid meaning with or without any possible pre-tax deductions that may have been deducted from your gross wages, which if you had any, your employer would have reported them in the W2, box 12, code W).  Furthermore, I'll assume you are a single filer. In this case, you'll be picking option #3 since you had different plan types at different times of the year: Jan. thru Mar. you were on some family plan paid by your parents, and starting in April, you were on an HSA/HDHP plan paid by your employer. On the next screen where it says "let's maximize your contribution limit," you check off "none" for months Jan. thru Mar., and leave "self only" checked for all the other months. That's about it! If my assumptions were wrong, add another post and we'll go from there.

kmpham1
Returning Member

Hi juliawill, 

Thanks for the reply. Yes, my employer paid for my HSA, and yes, I’m a single filer. 

However, why would I select “none” for January through March? I was covered by my family’s HDHP during that time. The reason I bring this up is because I know that a child that cannot be claimed as dependent while under their family HDHP would say they had family coverage all year and be eligible to contribute to the full family limit themselves. 

However, my situation is a bit more complex, since my self-only HDHP coverage started in April in addition to continuing to be covered by my family HDHP all year. 

I appreciate your help! 

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

On the page where you see the question, “What type of High Deductible Health Plan did [spouse] have on December 1, 2019?”.  The choices are FamilySelf only, or None

If you have been covered under your parents’s family plan, you might think you should answer Family to the question.  However, the answer should be None

It is referring to what type of plan you held in your name on December 1, 2019.  If you had your own separate HDHP on that date, then choose the type of plan that you had.  If instead you were covered under the plan in your parent’s name, then you should choose None.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies