turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: What to do if someone else claim my son on thier incom tax without my permission

Due to the current events happening the IRS is taking longer to respond.  Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done to speed up the process.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Ceastley
Returning Member

Tax Year Prior to 2020: What to do if someone else claim my son on thier incom tax without my permission

My ex has claimed my son who turned 18 last year and lived in my home 365 days of 2019. The feds and state are rejecting my returns for this reason. She did this last year too. Will this prevent me from getting a stimulus check? And how long do I have to fix this. 

Ceastley
Returning Member

How will this affect my stimulus check?

You should print, sign and mail your return that claims your son if he lived with you all year.  You should still get the $500 credit for other dependents for claiming him.  (You lose child tax credit when the child turns 17).  

It will not affect you in terms of your son--the stimulus  $600  is for kids 16 and under---your son is 18.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Someone else claimed my dependent and my return was rejected

If someone else claimed your dependent already, then your e-filed return will be rejected.  Print, sign and mail your own return which claims your dependent.  Mailed returns are processed differently by the IRS.  It will take some time (maybe even up to a year) but eventually the IRS will contact both parties and sort out who could rightfully claim the dependent.  The person who wrongfully claimed the dependent will face repayment of refund $, plus penalties.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Mrspope40

Someone that is going through your company has to win my child's identity and has been using it for two years in a row can you please tell me if there anything you can do to help me further along the process I do know the person's name someone told me that you guys want to give anyone's name out but if I know the person name you will confirm after you have looked at it if they claimed my child or not so I would like to know how true that is in to see if you can please help me with this problem

We have no access to anyone's account.  Accounts are secure--no one can look at them.  Even the IRS will not tell you who claimed your child if someone else did that.  The steps to take if someone claimed your dependent are already described in the post directly above your own question.  

Additonal information:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900655-what-to-do-if-you-suspect-tax-related-identity-theft

Ro19

Some file my son

MayaD
Expert Alumni

If someone else claimed your son and they already filed their return, you would then need to file a return on paper and claim your son. The IRS will process your return and send you your refund, in the normal time. Later on, you and the other person will receive a letter from the IRS, stating that your child was claimed on another return and it will ask you to amend your return if you made a mistake. If one of you doesn't file an amended return, unclaiming the child, the next letter, from the IRS, will require you to provide proof.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Isn't this fraud and illegal!? Can't you press charges!? Someone used my son and now we're doing it through mail but they probably already got their return. Even if I do get a return through mail and win...its evil of the person. It was probably my son's dad but he doesn't even see him and have never lived with him. Anything he would have wrote down would be a lie! Isn't that illegal? To lie to the country and IRS is just a fine or fee? Thats absurd. You can do hardly anything and go do  real jail time, but someone does tax fraud and doesn't even get tiny slap on the wrist. An evil man who doesn't pay child support, doesn't see the child at all, then turns around and gets money fraudulently from the IRS and has nothing to answer to but a fine...now I see why so many people do it. Absurd. Wrong. And evil.

RMarie 90

What can i do if the place where i filled my taxes last year the lady no longer worked there but took my taxes in 2018 and now filled my taxes for 2019 and got my money back and i cant file my own self or child for taxes my Arkansas taxes are getting rejected but its telling me its in my account and none of my turbo tax cards have my funds on there and i cant access the gmail they are using and i been calling the irs since feb of 2020 about this what can i do because i no.longer stay in California and thats where the taxes are filed i have moved back to Arkansas back in june 2019 and been working out here i need something done fast.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I just tried to e-file online and it was rejected because my 2 dependants were claimed. Which means someone also got their stimulus check. I am pretty sure it's my ex husband's wife or her mother but they won't admit it. I really needed that money and feel lost now. It's impossible to get a hold of the IRS. It's not fair me and my kids are not getting anything, so what can I do? I believe there might be another stimulus coming for the kids and I'm afraid I will not get that either which we really need. I have all the proof they are with me and have been. I'm so lost and don't know what to do or stop it. Thank you!! 

Ceastley
Returning Member

I filed a paper return along with proof, my former spouse also claimed she is not responsible. I am upset because I could use the money. I am hoping this sorts it all out. It may take some time but who ever claimed my son will be required to pay the IRS back with interest and penalties. And my amended return also moves me from single to head of household. Good luck

Hu my name is renarda Jeffers I filed my taxes on April 10 or 11 but it went to child support already but I jus found out that someone tried to file taxes on my son what do I do

@Jasmine1980 If you filed first and claimed your son, then the e-file of anyone else who tried to claim him would have been rejected.  Did you claim him on your own return--which you say has been processed?   If your own return has been accepted, you do not need to do anything about it.  Except wait for someday when the IRS sends a letter to sort out who should have claimed him--if that "someone" managed to file a return that claimed him after you filed

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies