turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

what is used as proof of E filing 1065 business

I called a Turbo tax Business agent to discuss proof of E- filing. I gave him permission to go into a 5-year-old Turbo tax business filings and forms on my computer. I went into my electronic filing status button and to my amazement it said no filing had occurred as did several of my old 2014 and 2015 tax 1065s which I know went through successful E file. And back then I did not think to keep my email of acceptance.  He said you cannot rely on the electronic status after the filing is years old, as years after the original filing, this status can apparently change! WHAT??  He said the only form "Electronic Filing Instructions for your 20-- year Federal Tax Return" as a permanent form in the record with the PE attachment dated and signed is the " receipt "proof that the e file was successful. This form must be kept with permanent records (also noted on the form) as the only proof you need. Thank God!  I have a CD desk top format. Is there anyone in the Business community that has run across this situation?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

Not sure but I think TT used to have instructions that had the filing date. Now I think you have to use the transmittal Form 8453....

Pro software will have a sig line for the ERO. 

thank you , I agree it seems that would be the best proof as it is computer generated and  dated. But that is only a small  part of what I was told . And don't you all agree  this is extremely important information that should be common knowledge, especially now with all the possible computer glitches and IRS so overwhelmed and behind with data. I have called TT agents 4 times and only 2 out of the 4 had any knowledge of proof in TT Business' ( although they were pretty secure about TT Home and Business 1040, which is completly different from Business)and only one  of the two agents was very sure of himself. He said the only form necessary to prove timely and successful E-filing was the E filing instructions page. Whoa! it is not even dated!! He said because you can not E-file after a certain date it will disappear as an option, unless filed within the deadline, so it can not appear in your tax documents for that year, unless filed by i.e. Oct 15 deadline .  He said this instruction page includes the fact that 1.you signed and dated the attached  PE form and that is your proof of date of Efile and 2. No other document must be signed and 3. you must keep this form  . He said  this page can not be added to final chart until efile has been successfully accepted and it can not be added after the fact . Yes I realize it says " forms you must keep (this form)" with your permanent tax file but why doesn't it just say this is proof of successful filing , must keep to verify Efile? To me, it only looks like instructions and is really not important . Is there anyone out there who concurs with this? 

thank you , I agree it seems that would be the best proof as it is computer generated and  dated. But that is only a small  part of what I was told . And don't you all agree  this is extremely important information that should be common knowledge, especially now with all the possible computer glitches and IRS so overwhelmed and behind with data. I have called TT agents 4 times and only 2 out of the 4 had any knowledge of proof in TT Business' ( although they were pretty secure about TT Home and Business 1040, which is completly different from Business)and only one  of the two agents was very sure of himself. He said the only form necessary to prove timely and successful E-filing was the E filing instructions page. Whoa! it is not even dated!! He said because you can not E-file after a certain date it will disappear as an option, unless filed within the deadline, so it can not appear in your tax documents for that year, unless filed by i.e. Oct 15 deadline .  He said this instruction page includes the fact that 1.you signed and dated the attached  PE form and that is your proof of date of Efile and 2. No other document must be signed and 3. you must keep this form  . He said  this page can not be added to final chart until efile has been successfully accepted and it can not be added after the fact . Yes I realize it says " forms you must keep (this form)" with your permanent tax file but why doesn't it just say this is proof of successful filing , must keep to verify Efile? To me, it only looks like instructions and is really not important . Is there anyone out there who concurs with this? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies