turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is section 199A dividends in Box 5 on Form 1099-DIV?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

It was added to the 1099-DIV this year in order to aid in the calculation of Section 199A, also known as the Qualified Business Income Deduction.

According to the IRS:

"New box 5 section 199A dividends. Box 5, section 199A dividends, must be completed to report section 199A dividends paid to the recipient. The amount paid is also included in box 1a."

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i1099div--2018.pdf

Every year I get $25 from my old employer. This year when I  got my 1099 Dividend form all the boxes except #5, which contained $25 in it, were blank. After completing my taxes, Turbo kept noting I needed to "review" a section. I ended up paying extra to speak with a person. I was told to just enter the $25, as I had done and continue, which I did. Still, got the message that it needed to be reviewed. Was told to disregard it and continue. I did. This was the only review required; however, when I went to "e-file", I kept getting thrown out and told I had to mail my return do to the failure to "review". Is my 1099 incorrect or is there no process in Turbo to "fix" this so I can file electronically. Seems that I wasted $20 to talk to someone who could not correct the problem and is making me nervous that my tax return is incorrect. 

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

What version of TurboTax are you using? 

I would suspect that you would need Deluxe, Premier, or above to compute the QBI deduction that Section 199A dividends incur.

From this IRS Publication here.

“Below are answers to some basic questions about the new qualified business income (QBI) deduction, also known as the section 199A deduction, that may be available to individuals, including many owners of sole proprietorships, partnerships and S corporations. Some trusts and estates may also be able to take the deduction. This deduction, created by the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, allows non-corporate taxpayers to deduct up to 20 percent of their QBI, plus 20% of qualified real estate investment trust (REIT) dividends and qualified publicly traded partnership (PTP) income.”

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

certain dividends from Real Estate Investment Trusts (non-qualified)  also included in box 1 total dividends.   if it's small and you don't want to bother with the 199A deduction (20%) that it produces leave box 5 blank 

Thanks for the quick response. I am already using Turbo Tax Live Deluxe. This cost an additional $20 for talking to a "live" person to correct any errors.  However, as noted earlier, the person I spoke with didn't correct this and just told me hit continue. Turbo is still telling me I needed to revisit this section and correct it. I cannot e-file since I can't fix it.  Turbo is telling me since I haven't fixed it that I have to mail my taxes. I was going to do that but I have been using Turbo for the last 7 years and other than the 5 printed Turbo pages, I do not know what attachments to send. I used to have to file 1099 forms, donation worksheets, etc. I spent $140 on this and for the first time, I do not feel comfortable filing because I am afraid of an error. 

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

What version of TurboTax are you using? 

I would suspect that you would need Deluxe, Premier, or above to compute the QBI deduction that Section 199A dividends incur.

TurboTax Online Deluxe will support Form 8995-A, Qualified Business Income Deduction but the form is not expected to be available until February 20, 2020.

See here.

golfer1john
Returning Member

On what form do I deduct the 20%?

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

TurboTax will compute QBI for you.

If you qualify for a qualified business income deduction, it'll appear on line 10 of Form 1040. 

To see if you qualify for the deduction, please see the TurboTax Help article "Do I qualify for the qualified business income deduction?".

Smigel

You are absolutely correct that this is a problem with TurboTax.  I agree no one should have to pay for an error in their system.  Filers should not have to pay TurboTax anything to fix this.  The way I went around it was to put in a random state with a zero then it let me through.  If this happens next year, I will find a different company to use.  At least they could explain the error but you are right, anything you do, TurboTax won't allow you to pass unless you rig the system.

Just as an update for this thread for 2020 taxes.  QBI deductions are now on Form 1040 line 13 and TurboTax Deluxe  handles QBI for 199A dividends and completes Form 8995. If you receive a  1099 Div with a Line 5 amount just check Form 1040 line 13 to determine if you got the deduction.  Under most circumstances the deduction amount should be 20% of the Line 5 amount.

thiaroche

I have Section 199A Dividends and 20% of the amount is on 1040 line 13 as a deduction which reduces my taxable income.  Form 8995-A calculated the deduction.  I cannot file electronically until I complete form 1099 Misc which pops up for me to complete.  Is this correct?  This form asks for the EIN number and Payer's Name.  I do not have this information for Vanguard.  My statement from Morgan Stanley has the CUSIP number.  Also, schedule 8995-A is not listed on the 1099 MISC worksheet so should I select Other Income in Box 3 of for 1099 MISC worksheet?

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

REIT dividends that are reported in Box 5 of the 1099-DIV do qualify for the Section 199-A deduction.  You don't need to fill out a 1099-MISC in the system, but rather a 1099-DIV (which will show the REITs in Box 5).  If the system is asking for the EIN, look on page 1 of your consolidated form, likely at the very top (and quite likely in small print).  Most brokerages do have that information on the form.

jquest

I have a dilemma. On my 1099DIV I was mailed by my financial group, box 5 had a dollar value, but when I downloaded from my financial group into Turbo box 5 was blank. I have mutual funds that do hold REIT's. Which do I believe, the actual paper I received from the financial group or the downloaded version? 

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

There might have been a transmission error with the download.  Compare the imported information with the actual paper copy and go by the paper copy.

@jquest

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies