Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What is reject code f8960

@marytony 

The suspense is killing me!!!

Please us know what happens with your filing this morning.

If you are still waiting to be rejected, that’s good news!🤪 I will try this afternoon. I was immediately rejected when I submitted it on 2/12, so if you haven’t yet….it’s 8:42am eastern…

it's still pending. 45 minutes later. I hate to say it out loud, but my hopes are up.

@marytony wrote:

it's still pending. 45 minutes later

This could be good news... or it could be overloaded systems from a million TT users filing first thing this morning (February 19th) 

😂

I just resubmitted at 8:13 CST we'll see how long it takes to either be rejected or accepted. My previous rejections took less than 10 minutes...........fingers crossed!

I just filed mine....and no reject yet.....still pending. This is VERY different from last week.  I think they fixed that error.  I got the reject error almost immediately after I filed last week. VERY hopeful today!!!I submitted around 9:10 EST.

Since the February 19 fix date comes from a message in the TurboTax app AND from various employee tax experts in these forums, paging the employee tax experts in the "Meet the Experts" sidebar of this post:

Can one of you confirm that the issue is actually fixed as of today and our e-filings will now work?

@JosephS1 

@LindaS5247 

@HopeS 

@RalphH1 

@MonikaK1 

I doubt that date is any good since it's a federal holiday. IRS will not be fixing much over the long holiday weekend especially if they haven't bothered to do so already, they've known about the issue for weeks now. BTW, I have same issue on HRB as well and unless I deleted all my divs and interest from different institutions I have no way to circumvent it.

I had the same problem. It is an IRS problem not a Turbo Tax problem. the IRS asked all the tax programs to put Schedule C information into the form but did not account for this information impacting other parts of their checks and balances. Bottom line is that we have had to wait for the IRS to fix the problem on their end. There is nothing wrong with our Turbo Tax returns. Now the information from Turbo Tax says the IRS will have the problem solved so that we can refile our taxes by 19 February which is today as I write this.

RETURNS TRANSMITTED

February 19, 2023, 5:01 AM PST

That's 6am AZ time when I filed. It's still pending. Now I'm hopeful. EXCEPT keep in mind it's SUNDAY on a HOLIDAY weekend. and yes, I'll bet soooo many people are e-filing today so... who knows. I'll keep checking of course. The second I get an ACCEPTED from the irs, I'll post it here. 

Is this 8960 form error issue resolved?  Today is Feb 19

It's about 2hrs & 45 mins since I e-filed and still see it PENDING. just a suggestion if you're watching your own, you have to refresh the tt screen by clicking on CHECK STATUS.

There is still no update on the IRS site stating it's completed. I think the only way we'll know is when the return is accepted by the IRS. I'm just going to guess that won't be until Tuesday because of the holiday weekend. I'll post as soon as I get either an accepted or rejected. I do need that form and I cannot get an ACCEPTED to my e-file without that fix. 

By the way, I did ask an H&R employee about the problem on their site and they do have the same issue as tt. In the beginning, people were able to file and get an ACCEPTED from the irs but now that H&R employee thinks all their accepted returns before it was caught will be rejected, but that was just his opinion. Not based on any memos or notices or anything else from corporate, just chatter amongst the employees

I filed with HRB on the 17th as that was the guidance they gave me. My return is still 'pending'. Been 2 days.

Obviously it’s a wait and see. Just remember that this is software and someone at the IRS is not just sitting there pushing a button to accept or reject. I filed my taxes last Sunday and was given an immediate reject due to the code. It took today so we will wait and see!

@marytony wrote:

that H&R employee thinks all their accepted returns before it was caught will be rejected, but that was just his opinion. Not based on any memos or notices or anything else from corporate, just chatter amongst the employees

I don't know first-hand if any of this is truly true, but from anecdotal reports in these forums:

• At first (late January?), a few people reported "acceptance" with HRB, and they said there were no Schedule C amounts on their Form 8960/Line 4a (therefore it wouldn't trigger the bad IRS business rule but it would be incorrect per the 2022 Form 8960 instructions)
  • After a week or so, people started reporting rejections with HRB and said they *did* have Schedule C amounts on Form 8960/Line 4a.

Again, I have no first-hand knowledge if any of that is true - that's just what people were claiming on this forum.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies