turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bowlescp

What if my employer stopped taking federal taxes out of my paycheck?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

That was part of the COVID relief to give you extra  money but it might make you owe more tax on your tax return.  IRS issued Notice 2020-65 suspended the payroll tax withholding if that is what you are referring to

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

How do you mean? Are you still receiving a W-2 with no money/less money in Box 2? Did he change you from an employee to an Independent Contractor?

He is required to go by your request on Form W-4. However, withholding tables change from year to year, sometimes drastically, and without notice.

If you are an employee and he changed you to Independent Contractor to save paying his share of SE taxes, you can file a Form that requires that he pay half. This IRS will be made aware. If you choose to do this, be advised that your "employer" might not like it.

The only way around this, is to file a Form 8919. The qualifications and instructions are available in the link below.

Workers who believe they have been improperly classified as independent contractors by an employer can use Form 8919, Uncollected Social Security and Medicare Tax on Wages to figure and report the employee’s share of uncollected Social Security and Medicare taxes due on their compensation. See the full article Misclassified Workers to File New Social Security Tax Form for more information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies