turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We pay my mom to watch our child inside our home. Can she still get credit for social security benefits?

We understand that the nanny tax does not apply and that we do not have to provide W2.  We also understand that FICA does not apply because she’s the grandparent. But can she still file income tax in such a way that she will still earn credit for social security benefits? If yes, do we need to provide either W2 or 1099? And how does she file this in TurboTax/1040 form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

We pay my mom to watch our child inside our home. Can she still get credit for social security benefits?

She cannot be exempt from SS  and also get SS credits ... pick one option.  

We would like to pick the option of getting SS credits. Is that allowed? Everything we have been reading goes the other way so we aren’t sure. If it is allowed, what needs to be done please?

Either provide her with a W-2  or have her claim  the income as self employment on a Sch C ... just because it is not required doesn't mean you or her cannot report the income for SS credits. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies