turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W-4 form updates

Hi. I have typically for the previous six years owed about $3000 Fed and got a State Refund of about $2000. Last year I got a pretty sizable bonus and I owed Fed $7000 and State $2000. I would like to avoid owing that much at tax time, but there is no simple way (like the good old days) to tell them to withhold an additional $200 / check or something similar...and the W-4 is way different than it used to be. Is there an easy solution to just withhold additional money, or do I have to start doing all the calculations...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
conniem123
Employee Tax Expert

W-4 form updates

Hi tedneher,  Yes it can be tricky finding that sweet spot of withholdings to not owe tax and not receive too large of a refund!  The new Form W-4 is different, but there is a W-4 Calculator that will take you step-by-step  through the worksheet,

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/w4/

Once you complete the form, give it to your employer. Then, keep a close eye on your next few paychecks to see how the changes impacted your federal income tax withholding.  Always a good idea to compare your 2021 total tax on your tax return with your year-to-date federal withholdings on your most recent paystub.

You can also include an Additional Withholding in Step 4 (c) – Extra Withholdings – put an amount here to be withheld
each pay period.

I hope this is helpful!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

W-4 form updates

Thanks for confirming my fears! I was hoping not to have to go through the calculator AND keep an eye on my withholdings to make sure it was what I intended.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies