Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Virtual Currency - Should I answer "No" to the crypto question on Form 1040 if I just purchased Bitcoin and did NOT sell, exchange or do anything with it? purchase ONLY.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

41 Replies
AlexanderS08
Expert Alumni

Virtual Currency - Should I answer "No" to the crypto question on Form 1040 if I just purchased Bitcoin and did NOT sell, exchange or do anything with it? purchase ONLY.

If you have not exchanged any bitcoin and are still holding the coin then you may answer No

As soon as you convert it back to USD (or any other currency for that matter), even if you do not purchase anything, there is a reportable transaction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After answering YES that I made crypto currency transactions in 2020 I figured that I had no tax consequences to report.   TurboTax is not allowing me to retrace my steps to answer this question "NO".  

I'm 90% complete.  Do I have to delete my entire work effort and start my 2020 taxes all over to change that answer? 

To change your answer in TurboTax Did you made crypto currency transactions in 2020?

1. Go to the Wages&Income menu page and select  I'll Choose what I will work on.  The full menu will be displayed.  If you're using TT Desktop, it's on the Personal Taxes page.
  2. A the bottom of the menu, choose Done with income.  Continue for another page or two and you will be able to change your answer.
  3. If you've already made the Virtual Currency entries, remove them first. You can test it without removing them, but it may be necessary to do so.

@R1952

Thank you Renee.  It worked just like you said. 

Apparently (FY) once this virtual currency question is answered, its locked and the screen is no longer available until closing/reopening the TurboTax desktop program.  

One follow-up question...

Since TurboTax asks the yes/no question, does filing with TurboTax submit a yes/no response to the IRS?

Thx, R1952

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes.  Filing in any way requires the answer to this question.  The is a question on the Form 1040 right after your name and address box at the top.

At any time during 2020, did you receive, sell, send, exchange, or otherwise acquire any financial interest in any virtual currency? Yes/No

• See the image below.

Thank you very much Dianne.  Three decades of doing my taxes with TurboTax weaned me from stepping through the actual IRS tax forms. 

So now that I know to respond YES for "acquiring" virtual currency (even if not a taxable event), I need to find and review whatever the location for virtual currency transaction inputs in case this establishes the basis of my purchases.  The TT Forum has a lot of discussion about importing CSV files, but I did not find any TurboTax program reference to importing or manually entering such transactions.   Help???  Thx!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, the IRS form 1040 added that question this year. If you don't want to import, another option, type in 4 lines manually. Each line is the total for that type of transaction. The IRS has the same brokerage statement and totals. 

Enter the totals for each:

• short term covered
  • short term non-covered
  • long term covered
  • long term non-covered

I am in a similar situation. The IRS has provided additional commentary this year that even those who just purchase crypto must answer "YES" to the crypto question regardless if there is a taxable event associated with their crypto activity in 2020 (such as a sale). This is precisely my circumstance as I bought crypto in 2020 and did not sell or use any of it. The problem I am having is that TurboTax only asks "Did you sell or trade cryptocurrency in 2020?" and if I answer "Yes" then Turbotax leads me down the trail of entering Purchases and Sales (I have no sales). Simply asked, how do I answer 'Yes" to the crypto question on the first page of the return and ignore all the rest of the crypto questions in TurboTax since I had no taxable events?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You must answer Yes when asked if you received, sold, or exchanged. You did receive. You did not sell, ignore all the rest.

@MaxTax00

Going to update this thread for others:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/freque[product key removed]ions-on-virtual-c...

Per IRS guidance, look at question 5:

A5.  No. If your only transactions involving virtual currency during 2020 were purchases of virtual currency with real currency, you are not required to answer yes to the Form 1040 question.

In other words - if you just bought and held, and did nothing further, it appears you can answer "NO."

Great. Thank You. It seemed odd that they said received instead of purchased in the question. I am glad they clarified that those who just purchased but did not sell can answer "No."

VTC

IRS site says NO. That is if you purchased with actual money and did not trade it since.

Thank you for explaining how to get back to the crypto question. But when I hit "yes" I bought or sold crypto, it just goes to the end and says "here's a picture of your 2020 income" without a place to enter the crypto that I bought and sold. Odd. I finished income and it never asked for details for crypto. Any ideas? Thanks.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

this how to report the sale or trade of cryptocurrency.  

Capital gains, losses, and 1099-B forms are all entered in the same place:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax if it isn't already open.
  2. Search for investment sales and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to the question Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds or other investments?
    • If you land on the Here's the investment sales we have so far screen, select Add More Sales.
  4. Following the instructions and we'll calculate the gain or loss from the sale.

Your total capital gains for the year minus your total capital losses result in a net gain or a net loss.

You can deduct a net loss of up to $3,000 ($1,500 if married filing separately). Any capital loss you couldn't deduct this year can be carried forward and deducted on future tax returns as a capital loss carryover.

Gain and loss on cryptocurrency transactions

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies