Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rev3

Virginia income tax

Can the amount of federal income tax on Social Security be deducted from Virginia income tax if I am over 65?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ericbastian
Expert Alumni

Virginia income tax

Hi Rev3,

Great question!

Virginia does not tax Social Security benefits. If any portion of your Social Security benefits are taxed at the federal level, you can subtract that amount on your Virginia return. This also applies to Tier 1 Railroad Retirement. 

Here is the link to the source information from the VA Department of Taxation website.

https://www.tax.virginia.gov/news/virginia-taxes-and-your-retirement#:~:text=Virginia%20does%20not%2....

Have a blessed day!

Eric

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JBedford
Employee Tax Expert

Virginia income tax

Hi, @Rev3 , thanks for the question! To answer, Virginia does not tax Social Security benefits. If any portion of your Social Security benefits are taxed at the federal level, you can subtract that amount on your Virginia return.

Hope this helps, please let me know if this raises additional questions! 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
KarenJB
Expert Alumni

Virginia income tax

Hi @Rev3,

Thank you for joining us today at our ask the experts event.

As you probably already know, the state of Virginia does not tax social security benefits, even when Federal does.

Unfortunately, the federal tax that you pay (if any) on your social security benefits is not deductible on your Virginia State Return.

Please see https://www.tax.virginia.gov/news/virginia-taxes-and-your-retirement

ericbastian
Expert Alumni

Virginia income tax

Hi Rev3,

Great question!

Virginia does not tax Social Security benefits. If any portion of your Social Security benefits are taxed at the federal level, you can subtract that amount on your Virginia return. This also applies to Tier 1 Railroad Retirement. 

Here is the link to the source information from the VA Department of Taxation website.

https://www.tax.virginia.gov/news/virginia-taxes-and-your-retirement#:~:text=Virginia%20does%20not%2....

Have a blessed day!

Eric

Rev3

Virginia income tax

Thank-you JBedford, that was my understanding but it was not done by TurboTax when I filed this year. I will sign in with them to further my inquiry as to why not. Stay Safe.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies