turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

NM1
Level 4

updates

At the very least, TT should provide a list of any federal and state tax forms that were updated. There is absolutely no reason to keep that basic information secret, and many reasons why it should not be.

Intuit, if you don't want to incorporate such a report in the software, at least maintain the list of changes on a Web page that actually works, and is actually official. The community forum is helpful, but it does *not* replace qualified technical support from the manufacturer.

updates

Last year, I updated and my tax due amount changed.  Of course, this was after I had filed.  Took me a large amount of time to compare the new file with the old to determine where the change occurred. It caused me to submit an amended return.  All work that should never have been needed, if Intuit really made all critical changes in advance.  Having visibility to release notes is critical!

Al50
Level 2

updates

intuit clearly has little regard for their customer user

Alea
Level 1

updates

This policy on software updates is SO WRONG on SO MANY LEVELS as discussed in this thread.

I have used TT every year since 1990!!!  And have spent my entire adult life in IT as a Systems Analyst for major corporations.  You don't DO this to your customers!  The availability of update information IS IMPORTANT on some level to almost everyone.

If this policy stands, I will NOT use TT going forward and will recommend to others AGAINST using it.

updates

Based on this thread, it appears software update release notes are no longer provided.  So, we no longer know what is contained in a release or when the software is considered final for Fed or State. 

Further reading of this stream also appears to indicate that Turbotax will notify me by email if any update impacted my return (Fed and/or State?  It's unclear.  What if I print my returns and don't e-file through TurboTax, will I know if I am impacted?).

Yet, the software update pop-up screen gives update links to dead pages.  Apparently, the product managers didn't bother to think about the confusing user experience they left with this change.  If the product strategy is to proactively tell me know when an update impacts me, that's great.  I get the product strategy you want to take.

BUT, make the pop-up screen say what you will let the user know if an update impacted the return, when you will notify us (before we file?  after we file?) and clearly communicate that release notes won't be provided going forward.  I spent precious time clicking links you sent hunting down notes that don't exist, searching this community forum for information that does not exist, and getting pissed off at the whole experience.

What TurboTax product manager idiot at TurboTax decided these changes?  Obviously, one who didn't seem to care about the user experience with support.  The user experience with support has seriously deteriorated. 

updates

Why would someone not efile?  In some states, it's required, and wherever it is, efiling is cleaner and quicker, and can't get lost in the mail or eaten by your dog.

NM1
Level 4

updates

Because some states' returns are simple enough that it's not worth the TurboTax fee to do it through the software. Also, some states have their own e-file portal that only takes 15 minutes to walk through and then submit (free), so it's still not going to get lost in the mail or eaten by the dog.

Intuit is not omniscient. We, their customers, need to know which forms and other important procedures have been updated so that *we* can determine whether they affect our tax returns in ways that TurboTax may not be aware of. The decision to turn it into a black box and urge us to just trust them is not acceptable.

updates

A return that simple might have free filing. Or state included at no extra charge. If the state is free, why use TT?

tsif
Level 2

updates

Regarding State, I use my premium edition to help a few elderly relatives.  While I bit the bullet and pay the TurboTax fee to file my state and keep things clean on my own taxes, I can't expect people getting a $100 or less refund to do that. It's not worth $25-$30 compared to printing and mailing it and there's money left to buy the dog a chew toy.    TurboTax doesn't offer free state submission when you use their higher end versions. 

updates

If the return is simple and income low enough, one can use free tools to electronically file.

NM1
Level 4

updates

Please stop making it sound like TT is either dead-obviously the answer, or not needed at all. It isn't that simple. A couple of examples:

1. The calculations that go into a return are often less simple than the filing process that results after those are completed. There may be considerations TT can pick up on that taxpayers are not familiar with, making it worthwhile to have TT do the worksheets etc. to create the tax return forms. That doesn't mean it's worth yet more money to e-file through TT.

2. When a state requires supplemental paperwork to be attached (e.g. a non-resident state return requiring a copy of the federal return), e-filing through TT is not an option.

pastordl
Returning Member

updates

Please Intuit Turbo, allow us to access what has been updated. Every time the program updates it offers us to see the detail as it has for years past just to route us to a "turbo tax has support has been moved" page.  I have found the information useful and informative. That or may rename the link page to "Turbo tax support has been removed"

updates

Who knows, only the shadow?

We need to know if it impacts a return that has already been filed.

updates

I agree that not being able to see what updates have changed is unacceptable.  Not being warned this had been changed has caused me concern and aggravation trying to find out what had gone wrong.  When I see an update I need to see what has changed and recheck the bottom line of what my return looks like.  When I have already printed out both my federal and state returns I don't want to print them again if the updates have not changed anything affecting my return.  Please return to the previous explanations of what updates have changed.

MatthewSD

updates

As a Product Manager for the world's largest retailer, I'm ashamed for whoever the Principal Product Manager for TT is.  Dead links for critical information like what you've updated in the product I'm relying on to insure I get all the money I'm owed back from the government and keep me out of jail for potential tax fraud - really?  Not to mention still extremely buggy when it comes to correctly handling education expenses and 529s for more than one child.  Seriously considering an alternative solution for next year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies