Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Two years of efilings rejected for not having “signature PINs” matching the previous year. Missed efiling last year because Turbo Tax never sent promised text msgs.

Also, supposedly a couple of years ago PINs were made optional if previous year's AGI is entered.  Both times I had that in disputably correct.  IRS couldn't tell reason, suggested setting AGI to 0 or 1 becausef iling was late last year because TT never send text messages as promised:  email is insufficient.) Couldn't figure out how to do that -- it's not in the forms nor the topic list.
Gave up and mailed.  Sick of TT's declining quality.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Two years of efilings rejected for not having “signature PINs” matching the previous year. Missed efiling last year because Turbo Tax never sent promised text msgs.

The IRS stopped issuing e-file pins for identification because of tax fraud, and are now only using the prior years AGI.    A 5 digit pin must still be entered as your electronic signature now that takes the place of pen and ink on a paper return.

The IRS has had all kind of problems with the 2019 AGI, however.

See there articles about it: https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxvox/are-irs-security-tools-blocking-millions-people-filing-electr...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/howardgleckman/2021/04/26/are-irs-security-tools-blocking-millions-of-p...

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

You are responsible for being aware of your own tax return. If you had logged into TurboTax at any time after filing, you would’ve seen the status. Additionally, TurboTax sends at least three emails; one email when you successfully transmit your return, a second email if the IRS accepts or rejects it, and a third email if the state accepts or rejects it. If you did not get those emails, it is your responsibility to make sure that your email address is correct and that you are checking your spam filters or doing anything else necessary to make sure that you can receive the emails.  TurboTax has no control over your phone or your email system.  It’s also your responsibility to monitor your checking account or other payment methods to make sure that your tax bill is paid or that you have received your refund.

If you use the same TurboTax account year over year, TurboTax will automatically fill in the AGI from the previous year, but TurboTax can’t be responsible if the information does not match the IRS information for reasons outside of TurboTax’s control.  (For example, if you file an amended return, there is no way for TurboTax to know whether the IRS e-file database will use the original AGI or the amended AGI. If you file late,  your AGI may not be in the system for the next year because the IRS is slow.)

sg312
Returning Member

i had the same issue. i did receive the messages. but nothing helped getting the tax return electronicallly filed. my issue was it was a joint return and spouses information didn't match. when I called the IRS they said their information matched mine but since the file was rejected I had to file by mail. This year was even crazier. they said the spouses AGI did not match the prior year. Since it is a joint return the souses AGI is the same as the head of household. they agreed it doesn't make sense. no choice but to file by mail. Turbo tax does not give the option to change the AGI to 0. only to change the AGI of the spouse. Then the AGI of the souse does not match the main AGI and that would also get rejected. Since the last 2 years I have had this problem, i don't think the PIN helps either. this is probably an IRS issue but I wish  TurboTax could help.

If you can't e-File, you can't select a 5-digit PIN for next year.

Catch-22.

If you have a previously selected PIN, use it and leave the AGI field empty.

and vice verso, if you have the AGI, leave the PIN field empty.

you should then be able at the next step to select a PIN for next year

@sg312 Sounds like you misunderstood.   If you filed a joint return then the AGI you need to enter in order to e-file is the same number for each spouse.  You literally type it in twice--once for each of you.   Your 2019 AGI was on line 8b of your 2019 Form 1040.   When you are ready to file your 2021 return you will look on line 11 of your 2020 Form 1040 to get your 2020 AGI -- and if you filed joint for 2020 it will be the same amount for each one of you.   Part of the problem is that the IRS has been so backlogged that they did not get all of the AGI's into the database they use to match AGI with your SSN, so the remedy is often to try using zero instead.   When neither the AGI nor zero work then you have to print, sign and mail your return.

Rejections come from the IRS----when the IRS rejects your return TurboTax cannot "help" or over-ride the rejection.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
sg312
Returning Member

i didn't misunderstand. it seems that the AGI is being rejected for the spouse (THAT is the error.) What I said is that the turbo tax fix is only for the error shown. so if I change the aGI for the spouse only it won't help. I know the AGI on a joint return is the same. So does the IRS (I spoke to them.) it would be nice if I could change both to 0 and try again. turbotax is not giving me that opportunity.

sg312
Returning Member

Well - I figured out how to get this through!!!

turns out that when I set my spouses AGI to zero, it doesn't change my AGI like I said. However, before submitting again I decided to edit the fields, which Turbo tax allows. so even though I "corrected" the error by setting the AGI to 0, the AGI on the submission was still the full AGI. I editd that and changed it to zero and my return was accepted!

that had nothing to do with the previous 2 years of rejections. I finally got someone at the IRS to help. It turns out that someone "accidentally" stole my spouse's SSI#. that person filed always before me. Didn't actually "steal" the number; on the entry 2 numbers were transposed - which matches my spouse's SS#!!! He corrected it and said I would not have any issues going further. So this year I was especially upset when it was again rejected. I finally got to change both numbers to 0 not relying on Turbo Tax to fix and it was just accepted!! long winded story but AGI to zero correctly seems to have worked in this case.

sg312
Returning Member

I replied to myself instead of to you so copying it here in case you didn't see.

Well - I figured out how to get this through!!!

turns out that when I set my spouses AGI to zero, it doesn't change my AGI like I said. However, before submitting again I decided to edit the fields, which Turbo tax allows. so even though I "corrected" the error by setting the AGI to 0, the AGI on the submission was still the full AGI. I editd that and changed it to zero and my return was accepted!

that had nothing to do with the previous 2 years of rejections. I finally got someone at the IRS to help. It turns out that someone "accidentally" stole my spouse's SSI#. that person filed always before me. Didn't actually "steal" the number; on the entry 2 numbers were transposed - which matches my spouse's SS#!!! He corrected it and said I would not have any issues going further. So this year I was especially upset when it was again rejected. I finally got to change both numbers to 0 not relying on Turbo Tax to fix and it was just accepted!! long winded story but AGI to zero correctly seems to have worked in this case.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies