Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Two forms of self-employment income, one was over the $600 threshold and other was under. Questions about how to file properly.

How do I report tax on two forms of self employment income, both incomes were from different jobs. One of the incomes was under the $600 irs threshold, and the second one was over the $600 threshold that requires payment of self employment tax and I received a 1099-misc for this income. Do I report the income under $600 as other income on line 21 of the 1040 or do I have to fill out a schedule-c?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Two forms of self-employment income, one was over the $600 threshold and other was under. Questions about how to file properly.

Sorry it goes on Schedule C with your other 1099Misc.  The $600 threshold refers to the min amount the payer has to file the 1099Misc.  Not to you.  You have to report all your income even if you don't get a 1099Misc or even if it is less than $600.

Self Employment tax (Scheduled SE) is automatically generated if a person has $400 or more of net profit from self-employment.  You pay 15.3% SE tax on 92.35% of your Net Profit greater than $400.  The 15.3% self employed SE Tax is to pay both the employer part and employee part of Social Security and Medicare.  So you get social security credit for it when you retire.   

Would the amount that I didn’t receive a 1099 for be considered other income, line 21 of the 1040, since the company didnt and wasnt required to send me a 1099 because it’s under the $600 mark? I also don’t have their tax identification number so how would I fill out a schedule c without a 1099-misc that states their identification number?

@elifeli1 wrote:

Would the amount that I didn’t receive a 1099 for be considered other income, line 21 of the 1040, since the company didn’t required send a 1099 because it’s under the $600 mark? I also don’t have their tax identification number so how would I fill out a schedule c without a 1099-misc that states their identification number?

You do not need a 1099-MISC to report your self-employment income.  Just select Other self-employed income. Includes 1099-K, cash, and checks

Where? I don't see this tab that you listed in bold?

Did you see this FAQ on how to enter self employment income?  It has 2 sections, if you got a 1099Misc and if you just got cash

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/self-employed/help/how-do-i-report-income-from-self-employment/00/...

When you start the self employment section you may have to go though a lot of screens asking about your business.  Eventually you will get to this income screen.

Sch C Cash Income.jpg

Thanks so much I finally understand 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies