Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TurboTax update to 2021 American Rescue Plan

There was an update this morning to my install of TurboTax Deluxe desktop (version 2020.48.23.78) dated 4/1/2021. This update still does not address the PTC issue for the Affordable Health Care Plan.

These delays are causing me significant issues.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

This has not been updated yet.  We are still waiting for guidance from the IRS on this provision.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@geegecko wrote:

There was an update this morning to my install of TurboTax Deluxe desktop (version 2020.48.23.78) dated 4/1/2021. This update still does not address the PTC issue for the Affordable Health Care Plan.

These delays are causing me significant issues.

The PTC adjustment cannot be made until the IRS issues guidance and they have not done that yet.

IRS statement - https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/individuals-and-families/the-premium-tax-credit-the-basics

We’re reviewing the tax provisions of the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, signed into law on March 11, 2021. Taxpayers who filed a 2020 tax return and reported an excess advance premium tax credit repayment on Line 29 of Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit, should not file an amended tax return only to get a refund of this amount. The IRS will provide more details soon.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m...

IR-2021-71, March 31, 2021

WASHINGTON — To help taxpayers, the Internal Revenue Service announced today that it will take steps to automatically refund money this spring and summer to people who filed their tax return reporting unemployment compensation before the recent changes made by the American Rescue Plan.

The legislation, signed on March 11, allows taxpayers who earned less than $150,000 in modified adjusted gross income to exclude unemployment compensation up to $20,400 if married filing jointly and $10,200 for all other eligible taxpayers. The legislation excludes only 2020 unemployment benefits from taxes.

Because the change occurred after some people filed their taxes, the IRS will take steps in the spring and summer to make the appropriate change to their return, which may result in a refund. The first refunds are expected to be made in May and will continue into the summer.

For those taxpayers who already have filed and figured their tax based on the full amount of unemployment compensation, the IRS will determine the correct taxable amount of unemployment compensation and tax. Any resulting overpayment of tax will be either refunded or applied to other outstanding taxes owed.

For those who have already filed, the IRS will do these recalculations in two phases, starting with those taxpayers eligible for the up to $10,200 exclusion. The IRS will then adjust returns for those married filing jointly taxpayers who are eligible for the up to $20,400 exclusion and others with more complex returns.

There is no need for taxpayers to file an amended return unless the calculations make the taxpayer newly eligible for additional federal credits and deductions not already included on the original tax return.

For example, the IRS can adjust returns for those taxpayers who claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and, because the exclusion changed the income level, may now be eligible for an increase in the EITC amount which may result in a larger refund. However, taxpayers would have to file an amended return if they did not originally claim the EITC or other credits but now are eligible because the exclusion changed their income.

These taxpayers may want to review their state tax returns as well.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, over 23 million U.S. workers nationwide filed for unemployment last year. For the first time, some self-employed workers qualified for unemployed benefits as well. The IRS is working to determine how many workers affected by the tax change already have filed their tax returns.

The new IRS guidance also includes details for those eligible taxpayers who have not yet filed.

The IRS has worked with the tax return preparation software industry to reflect these updates so people who choose to file electronically simply need to respond to the related questions when electronically preparing their tax returns. See New Exclusion of up to $10,200 of Unemployment Compensation for information and examples. For others, instructions and an updated worksheet about the exclusion were available in March and posted to IRS.gov/form1040. These instructions can assist taxpayers who have not yet filed to prepare returns correctly.

After the unemployment exclusion was applied my federal refund increased as expected.  However, now I owe California more.  Why did the unemployment exclusion increase the amount I owe California?

I noticed that my State taxes went up 300% when I applied the $600 x2 stimulus that we never received in 2020.

The stimulus, regardless if you received them or not, should have no impact on your state tax return.

Does your Form CA(540), Part B, Line 8 and 8f show any amount ?

Yes.  $10,200 shows up on Line f, in additional income in the California Adjustments form.  Also, the increase in taxes due is captured in 540 line 64 under Excess in Advance Premium Assistance Subsidy.

@jsm52said "Yes. $10,200 shows up on Line f, in additional income in the California Adjustments form. Also, the increase in taxes due is captured in 540 line 64 under Excess in Advance Premium Assistance Subsidy. "

I'm not in California, but that sounds like your line 64 is referring to the subsidy you received to help pay your ACA health insurance. Typically, if your income is too high, you have to pay back some of that subsidy. The Feds are supposedly waiving the repayment as part of the ARPA, but each state has to decide what to do with that income, too.

I will probably wait until the very last minute to file, in order for the Feds and my state to work through all the changes that came as part of ARPA. You might also want to wait to see how everything shakes out for you.

The $10,200 actually reduced my federal  AGI by that amount, but for Calif taxes increased the penalty for the Advanced Premium Assistance Subsidy.  The $10,200 is added to my Calif  AGI in 540 line 16, even though unemployment Income is not taxable in Calif.   Doesn't make sense to me that this would show up as part of the Calif AGI. Good advice to wait until closer to the filing deadline.

Hi CatinaT1.... Is TurboTax still waiting on guidance from the IRS regarding the Premium Tax Credit Repayment forgiveness for 2020? 

My TurboTax Premier desktop version installed an update today (Saturday, 4/3/21) and the update implied that the provisions of the American Rescue Plan Act, including the Advance Premium Tax Credit changes, were implemented in today's update.  But.... TurboTax is still indicating that I have to repay the Excess Advance Premium Tax Credit that I received.

Are we still waiting on the IRS, or is the software truly up to date?  Thanks.

@TobyMeister As of today, 4/3/2021, IRS is still saying on its website that it's reviewing the tax provisions in the American Rescue Plan. So while there's a possibility that the IRS hasn't updated its website, I would wait to file until this all gets sorted out. 

Reference: https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/individuals-and-families/premium-tax-credit-claiming-the-cre...

kd1160

I updated tt today, and 10,200 IS subtracted from the unemployment earned

no update for the online version yet for the APTC.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies