turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax is asking for "Tax (Form 1040 line 12a) but on my return line 12a is Child tax credit/credit for other dependents

This is in reference to my 2018 return.

Is it possible that it really means line 11a, which is labeled "Tax (see inst.)"

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Turbotax is asking for "Tax (Form 1040 line 12a) but on my return line 12a is Child tax credit/credit for other dependents

Thank you for sharing the details.  To answer your original question, yes, the instruction should be asking for the amount of tax reported on line 11 of Form 1040 for 2018.

I will take this information and submit it for correction in a future release.

@tptshoe

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Please share where you are seeing this question so that we can tell why TurboTax is asking for the information. 

What section of the return are you going through when you see the question asking for Form 1040 line 12a?

Please see screenshot below...  I'm in Wages & Income, it's figuring out whether a state tax refund is taxable...

Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 2.50.03 PM.png

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Thank you for sharing the details.  To answer your original question, yes, the instruction should be asking for the amount of tax reported on line 11 of Form 1040 for 2018.

I will take this information and submit it for correction in a future release.

@tptshoe

I ran into the same issue and came across this post. (thank you).

And since "Tax Form 1040 Line 12" should have referenced "Line 11" per your response...the next question is:

A few lines below in that same screenshot, there is reference to "Tax Before Credits Form 1040 Line 11".

So, what is the correct line for THAT question?

Thanks!

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

It appears the "Line 12a" response should be referring to "Line 13" on the 2018 return.  

Respo

Tax (Form 1040 line 12a) should probably be line 11a ("Tax (see inst.) ______")

Tax Before Credits (Form 1040 line 11) should probably be line 11

Tax After Credits (Form 1040 line 14) should probably be line 13.  Line 14 is "other taxes"

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

There seems to be two incorrect line numbers referenced on this input screen.  The first one asking for line 12a, should be line 11a.  The second one asking for line 14, should be line 13.

The line asking for line 11, tax before credits, will actually calculate on its own after you start entering numbers on the form.  

@Alba-Tax

@Respo

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies