turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax seems to have screwed up my prior depreciation numbers in 2019

I have used TT for years, and I always import my info from the prior year's return. I have a rental house, and the depreciation report has always listed what I previously took in special depreciation and regular depreciation for prior years. For some reason the 2019 report is now blank under special depreciation, and the prior depreciation numbers are only partially correct. This is going to screw things up big time in 2020, because I have sold the place and I really need these numbers to be correct. What happened, and what do I do (short of hiring a CPA)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Open your 2018 TurboTax program and continue the 2018 tax return.  Click on Forms.  Open the Depreciation and Amortization Report.  Does in show your special deprecation items?  Does it show the proper depreciation for the assets?

If it is correct then start your 2019 TurboTax program and continue the 2019 tax return.  Click on Forms.  Open the Depreciation and Amortization report.  Is the 2019 report vastly different than the 2018 report?

Yes, 2018 and every other year prior to 2019 is correct. But then on 2019 it just leaves the special depreciation section blank (every year prior had entries), and the regular depreciation for prior years doesn't match the actual prior years in every case (eg the total depreciation for the house is correct, but the total for some of the improvements is wrong). I don't know where Turbo Tax got these numbers. They should have come directly from my 2018 return.

Ah, I have seen my error. Sorry to have wasted anyone's time. My bad!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies