Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gil3
Level 2

Turbo Tax Deluxe - When I file electronically which forms get sent? Is there a way to know?

I just viewed all the forms associated with my tax return. (Selected View/Go to Forms). There are a lot of forms listed - Form 1040, Schedule 1, Tax History, U.S. Averages, Form W-4, Qual Div/Cap Gn, etc. Of all the forms listed is there a way to know which forms will be sent with my electronic filing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Turbo Tax Deluxe - When I file electronically which forms get sent? Is there a way to know?

The efile sends the information to the IRS in electronic format.  All required information is sent to the IRS in a format that does not look like the forms that are printed.  In the Print Preview, select "All Forms required for filing" to see what was actually filed, 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gil3
Level 2

Thanks! This is what I was looking for. I think I may have a slightly different version of TurboTax. When I select the File/ Print or File/Preview I get a pop-up window that has, in the upper left corner a pulldown menu of Returns for Filing, Returns for Your Records, Selected Forms. I selected Returns for Filing and then select Preview button on lower right of the window. The pop-up window changes to a scrollable window of the preview documents. Even though Returns for Filing was selected a cover page with mailing instructions is included which I believe is not really sent as part of my return, but the remainder of the previewed forms appear to be the forms that answer my question - What forms are actually sent when I file electronically. The mailing instructions are provided in case I want to mail the return and forms instead of electronic filing so I can see why the instructions were added the preview. 

Are you using the Mac version or Windows version?

I can't speak to the Mac version, but in the Windows version, when one chooses the File menu in the top left corner of TurboTax, then Preview (or Print), a popup appears with the list of forms on the right side of the popup.  On the left side of the popup are various choices for form combinations.

If you select, "All official forms required for filing", the list of forms will also include some things that are not part of the efiled return, but which will print or be part of the PDF saved for your records.   These can vary and may include Filing Instructions, Federal voucher form, possible estimated tax payment vouchers, etc.   Those are not included in the efiled return, however.   By the way, there will be pages called "Filing Instructions" regardless of whether you efile or file by mail, but they change accordingly.   The Filing Instructions pages have additional info such as your chosen refund method and banking information you entered for a refund deposit, or tax payment method if taxes are owed, etc.

NOTE:  "Which" Filing Instructions you get in that list depends on what you have chosen so far for the filing method.   i.e., the type of Filing Instructions will not be final until you actually select a filing method.  If your Filing Instructions currently say "File by Mail Instructions", then when you later select efile, the Filing Instructions should then be titled "Electronic Filing Instructions."

gil3
Level 2

Thanks for the information. Yes, I am using the Max version of TurboTax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies