Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbo Tax Deluxe 2021 Won't Install

I've been using TurboTax for 28 years and it would not install this year for the very first time ever. I'm pretty sure it's a software issue. There should be absolutely NO need to change environmental variables to get a program to install!

Easy and successful installation is the most basic expectation that one can have of a program. There is something seriously wrong at the most basic level if this expectation is not met.

I have absolutely no problems with any of the other many (also much more expensive and complicated) programs that I have installed on my system running the latest version of Windows 10 with all pertinent updated drivers, etc.

the fix for me - i copied the install file that downloaded from amazon from the download folder to the desktop. it installed and updated. frustrated with this install fail for a day and a half before i fixed it with this simple thing. have to be fair, it's what the instructions said. but nowhere did it say "IF YOU DON'T DO THIS IT WON'T INSTALL!" ugh.

Thank You Thank You Thank You!

I spent hours trying to track down a solution. Your suggestion worked flawlessly!

Is this a TurboTax programming problem that should have been addressed prior to releasing their software?

I had a similar problem with HR Block a few years back. That is why I switched over to the more expensive TurboTax product back then.

My one question is whether the variable values that I changed to "C:\Temp" need to be changed back to their original values of "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp"?

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@BobBQ2

For your question, please contact us directly using the Help Article here.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Shasta11
Returning Member

Well my primary account on my Dell laptop does not include a space but wont install the Turbotax program. However my work around has been to create a second account on same PC again with admin. privileges and  this account always allows the program to install. Been that way since the 2019 Turbotax. Interestingly this second account in fact does have a space in the account name. As an aside I have one other software program that exhibits the same issue. It is a photo editing program either ACDSee or ON1, can't remember which and whenever I purchase an update I have same issue with program not installing and they always direct me to a second internal download site that always fixes the issue. Don't see why Intuit can't do the same. 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the steps in this Turbo Tax FAQ for assistance. If you are still experiencing issues you can contact support.

Troubleshoot installation and running TurboTax for Windows

This FAQ will provide you with the steps to contact an agent.
Contact Support

@Shasta11

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
AceKing

OMG, that solution actually worked, after struggling for hours and finally searching online. Thank you. It's unconscionable that Intuit would not make TurboTax very simple and easy to install. I can't imagine the average user will be digging into System, Environment Variables, folders and files etc to solve this problem. NO WAY> You shouldn't need a PhD in computer science to install simply tax preparation software.   Intuit, YOU NEED TO DO BETTER NEXT YEAR.

Thank you Rip in Franklin!  I'm a nitwit with computers, but your suggestion worked perfectly for me.  Instead of loading "C:\Temp" into both TEMP and TMP variables, I changed both variable values to "C:\Users\Ed\AppData|Local\Temp" and suddenly my installation was successful!  No reboot required.

I had the absolute worst tech support call ever with TurboTax technical support.

After changing the environment variable didn't work for me I gave them a call. 

I was on the phone for over an hour and the guy was completely clueless. He acted like he was searching Google as I had been.

After giving up with him I checked the Event Viewer and found the following error:

"Product: TurboTax 2021 -- Error 1305. Error reading from file C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Downloaded Installations\{98531A59-92D1-40BA-AD49-466E08FEB552}\TurboTax 2021.msi."

Error 1305 leads to permissions.

By default, almost all system files, system folders, and even Registry keys in Windows 10 are owned by a special built-in user account called "TrustedInstaller". I thought I'd try resetting permissions.

By opening an elevated command prompt and typing   icacls "full path to the folder" /reset /t /c /l

This fixed my issue completely.

You're a genius!  Followed your steps exactly and it worked for me.  Had wasted hours trying to install before I found your fix. Thanks!!

Tried this and it didn't work for me. Btw, changed "mdkir" to "mkdir", which I think is the proper command.

Mark as Best Answer

mikejc

Your instructions are perfect!  I have been repeatedly trying to install TurboTax wondering why this install this year is different from all the other years.  Thank you very much for resolving an issue that my internet searches were not picking up until I searched on the TEMP folder issue!  Awesome!

I am having problems in this realm for TT Premiere 2021 Download version. In the AppData folder, there is a folder ckz.xxx folder in TEMP which defines the TT application.  That folder is missing ( I know because it exists in my 2020 return).

I have a complex tax situation I'd much rather spend time on than fixing TT problems.  If I switch from the Download version to the Online version would this problem even exist?  

Thanks

ctmsnr

EJudeA

Wow that actually worked!  Changed TEMP and TMP and that did the trick

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies