Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT 2021 Schedule 1 Line 17 - Error Calculating Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction?

I am preparing a return on Turbo Tax 2021 CD desktop:  Although the Form 8962 Line 28 repayment limitation seems to now be fixed, there still seems to be a related problem with the Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction on Schedule 1 Line 17.  The TT calculation is acting as though the repayment of the Excess Advance Payment of the Premium Tax Credit is still limited to $1350 (single) even though Form 8962 Line 28 repayment limitation has been removed.  (Form 8962 Line 5 is 401%)  I have checked that this is not a problem in getting the optimal value via the Iterative Calculation Method. The Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction is being calculated as the amount already paid for health premiums plus a repayment of $1350.  This results in a much lower value because the actual full Excess Advance Premium Tax Credit Repayment (Form 8962 Line 29) is much more than $1350 in my case.  The repayment limitation problem was discussed in the January 20, 2022 post; "TT 2021 Form 8962 - Error calculating repayment limitation?"

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
dk82
Level 3

TT 2021 Schedule 1 Line 17 - Error Calculating Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction?

I encountered the same, first with the PTC repayment limitation bug reported in January (now fixed), and now with the remaining self-employed health insurance calculation error.

I found a workaround by unchecking the "I'm self-employed" box in the 1095 section, then manually entering my full premium (monthly payments + repayment obligation) in the self employment expenses section. Hope this helps on your CD version as well. It does make one question using this product if you have to double-check all the calculations AND discover your own workarounds.

I am having the sae issue. I used the Pub 974 iterative calculation to determin the correct deduction since this is a circular calcultion. I have an agent at turbotax looking at my file. Like you, I wonder why I buy this program if I have to check everythind and create workarounds.

Turbotax response seems to be do your own research, do the calculation manually and use workarounds to get Turbotax to report the correct answer. I suspect the issue is that TT does not realize that if tor AGI is > 400% then you are not limited if your associate business income is greater than the deduction. See IRS PUB 974 page 57-75 for details,

Next year I will probally try a different software package. Any recommendations? You just can't trust TT.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies