turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tmarkelon

Trying to file an extension, but pressing on the "transmit my returns now" button is not doing anything

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Trying to file an extension, but pressing on the "transmit my returns now" button is not doing anything

The deadline for e-filing a federal extension request was July 15.

tmarkelon

so there is no way to file an extension now?

Nope.  It is now too late to file a extension. Just file your return as soon as possible. 

I was able to e-file my extension around 4am this morning.. via “TaxAct” another service provider for Federal

California - doesn’t require to file a form, it’s an automatic extension till Oct. 15, 2020

however If taxes are owed, deadline to pay was July 15 for California, for Federal Oct. 15 but interest & penalty could apply

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

@mylaganda87  The deadline to pay federal is also July 15, 2020 for 2019 taxes.  The deadline to pay is not extended when you file an extension, only the deadline to file. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

SusanY1 I think I mentioned about the payment deadlines in my post... but Thank you! 🙏🏼 

@mylaganda87   You said the deadline to pay federal was Oct 15.  It was also July 15, 2020.

That's what I meant... if not paid (by July 15):  penalty & interest applies until paid fully

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies