Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hepme

"To file, please enter your registration information" "Note: You must have a U.S. address in order to register" I live out of the country

Hi. 

I am a US citizen living in the UK. I used the Turbotaxonline.intuit.com site to attempt to file my taxes from the UK. I was able to select an option for living in a foreign country. I made it all the way through to the end when I found myself on the following page:

"To file, please enter your registration information"

Unfortunately, the page also says:

"Note: You must have a U.S. address in order to register"

It will not let me complete the form without using a US address. But  do not have a US address -- I live in the UK.

What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

"To file, please enter your registration information" "Note: You must have a U.S. address in order to register" I live out of the country

I would check with a friend or relative in the US to see if you could use their address to complete your taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Will the address entered for program registration be considered by IRS as physical address for the tax filer or it will be used only within TurboTax  for documentation purposes?

This is very critical for US citizens with foreign residency as it will break Foreign Tax Exemption.

You have to go back to My Info and change it to a USA address under under Mailing Address. When you go back to File section, you will input the correct address for filing but uncheck the box then put in the US registration address. Make sure you go back to My Info and update it to the correct Mailing Address then back to File to input the US address. This is a lot of back and forth but this definitely will help. 

If you are still a US Citizen, then you are not a "foreign resident". You would be a "foreign resident alien" and therefore would have to use a US address for tax filing purposes. Since you are tirelessly working through this process, then you must have US income or are filing for other credits you might be eligible for. In any event, again, if you're a US Citizen still then you would need to use a friend or relative's address as a US mailing address for tax filing purposes. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

The reply by WendyN2 is just not true as I have been living in the UK for 20 years and the IRS has never required a US address.

EADBali
Returning Member

Hi @WendyN2 .  Sorry, but you are incorrect.  You don't need a US address to file taxes.  I am US citizen, and have lived abroad for nearly a decade. I file as a foreign resident every year, and I use my foreign address.  This is the first program I have used that asks for a US address, and it's not for filing, it's for registration for their system.

This is definitely a flaw in the TurboTax system.  I really thought it was a great, easy program until I got to the end and it asked for that.  It's very strange.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies