Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I don't want to pay estimated tax. Why are form 1040-ES payment vouchers in my return? Just a courtesy in case I want to use them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Doc5108

I don't want to pay estimated tax. Why are form 1040-ES payment vouchers in my return? Just a courtesy in case I want to use them?

Those Estimated Vouchers 1040-ES are Not Mandatory.  They are Not sent to the IRS and are for your information only.  TurboTax calculates those based on this years tax return.  So, If you feel comfortable about not owing way too much next year then you can just Ignore those vouchers.  Like I said the IRS does Not get a copy.

The issue is will you Owe less than $1,000 to the IRS in taxes Next Year.  Please see this IRS Topic 306 http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc306.html for a more in-depth answer.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Doc5108

Those Estimated Vouchers 1040-ES are Not Mandatory.  They are Not sent to the IRS and are for your information only.  TurboTax calculates those based on this years tax return.  So, If you feel comfortable about not owing way too much next year then you can just Ignore those vouchers.  Like I said the IRS does Not get a copy.

The issue is will you Owe less than $1,000 to the IRS in taxes Next Year.  Please see this IRS Topic 306 http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc306.html for a more in-depth answer.

Hope this helps.

Correct, not mandatory.  And it's a good thing.

I too don't pay estimated, and usually I tell the program NOT to produce the vouchers, because they are always wrong.  This year, I guess I forgot so I got the vouchers. Still wrong. Don't ever rely on them.  Somehow TurboTax figures that even though I got fed and state refunds of more than $1300, I should be paying estimated?

If you are receiving a refund or low tax due and TurboTax prepared the vouchers then your tax liability was probably reduced by credits. Your Tax Liability is the amount on 1040 line 16. It is the tax you owe on your income. But you might qualify for credits that can reduce your tax due or even give you a refund. Credits are on Schedule 3.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies