turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lwgerow

What are the fees for state filing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

There are two separate items here:  

One is utilizing the state tax preparation program provided by TurboTax.  A state tax preparation program (if not included in your original federal purchase) is currently $39.99/state.  The second is the actual e-filing of each state return.

For the actual e-filing of a state return:  If you are using TurboTax Online (the web-based platform), e-filing fees are included in the purchase of the state tax preparation program.

If you are using TurboTax Desktop platform (CD/download), there will be an additional charge to e-file a state tax return.  Currently, that e-filing fee is $19.99 per e-file.  All prices are subject to change at any time and without prior notice.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

View solution in original post

24 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

There are two separate items here:  

One is utilizing the state tax preparation program provided by TurboTax.  A state tax preparation program (if not included in your original federal purchase) is currently $39.99/state.  The second is the actual e-filing of each state return.

For the actual e-filing of a state return:  If you are using TurboTax Online (the web-based platform), e-filing fees are included in the purchase of the state tax preparation program.

If you are using TurboTax Desktop platform (CD/download), there will be an additional charge to e-file a state tax return.  Currently, that e-filing fee is $19.99 per e-file.  All prices are subject to change at any time and without prior notice.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
elsbent

I was just charged $24.99 for e-filing a return.  What happened to the $19.99 fee?
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@elsbent The price of state e-filing increased on March 1.  I hate that.  I never file early enough to get the cheaper rate.  
r_edwards

Unexpected and Crap. I normally use online but bought deluxe to avoid constant upselling.  I had to enter everything in this time.  Normally it is pulled in.  Going back to doing it my self.  Cost is too much!!!
r_edwards

Holey Crap.  Now it has jumped to 39.99.  What a rip off!!!
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@r_edwards The e-file fee for a state return in the Desktop program is still $24.99.  I'm not sure what you're seeing.
And, someone could've helped you switch from online to desktop (and transfer your info) if you had inquired.  Sory you're so frustrated.
Katie14
Returning Member

I bought the Turbo tax deluxe in Target for $49.99.  I have used Turbo Tax for around 10  years.  When I get to where it asks me for $39 for filing and I click on continue it takes me to a screen to download Turbo Tax from online.  I have had my taxes done for 4 days, all I want is to e-file.

Katie14
Returning Member

I already consented to the 19.99 to file my state.  They have the information.  I am getting money back from the state, so they asked if I wanted it deducted from my refund and I answered yes they changed my refund from $999.00 to $979 after deducting the fee of 19.99.  My CD includes 5 federal e-files and one state product.

Katie14
Returning Member

It is include for the $49.99 I paid for the CD I bought in Target, Turbo Tax Deluxe.

Hi...finally found someone with the  answers.  I purchased the usual copy (deluxe) of Turbo tax with state included.  I have e-filed my federal tax return. Two days later i went to file my state return and knowing I would have to put the charge on a credit card I filled all the forms necessary and when I released it all to go, I was sent to an area online to get my purchase approved and never got it approved. It was like going on a wild goose chase. There was also a shady page in the paperwork that i need to talk to someone about.  I would also like to get my state tax return in.    JUBALATION

My problem here is not being able to get my State tax return sent from TurboTax. I know it costs $19.99 and am willing to pay the fee but cant get it approved by anyone......going around in circles.

Yes they offered to take the 19.99 out of my refund and i refused and it was after that i couldnt get the 19.99 purchase approved. This is frustrating when you keep going in circles,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please Contact us so we can help.

I’ve used TT for more than 10 years. Each year it gets more and more cluttered, the user experience is simply awful now. But this charging extra money for state e-filing after March 1 is the last straw for me. 

TT you lost another customer this year. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies