Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The IRS has not processed the 2019 return, doesn't have the AGI and rejects the electronically transmitted 2020 return, even though it was filed on time. What to do?

Is there a way to use a different year's AGI, or a different way to file electronically?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
jpmd
Level 1

The IRS has not processed the 2019 return, doesn't have the AGI and rejects the electronically transmitted 2020 return, even though it was filed on time. What to do?

In my case (paper joint return filed in March of 2020 and received - check for payment sent with return was cashed and is reported by IRS - but return still not processed) submitting 0 for 2019 AGI was again rejected, but after I entered 0 for spouse's AGI and resubmitted, was accepted.   So, if filing a joint return and 2019 return still not processed, to have success filing electronically you can try entering 0 for both spouses' AGI.  Worked for me, YMMV.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

You cannot use a different prior year AGI and there is no other way to file electronically.  I suggest you request an online transcript from the IRS to ascertain what AGI they show in your prior year.  Even though the return has not fully processed the basic information will be there.

Here is a link to make that request.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The problem is that the IRS has not been able to process the return due to their own luck of funding.  If I submit by paper the 2020 I (and million others) will add  more work to them and make things even worse.  Is there a way to contact the IRS and ask/suggest for alternative methods to electronically file this year? 

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, there is no way to contact the IRS and ask/suggest for alternative methods to electronically file this year. The e-file procedures adopted by the IRS for 2020 are in place and are not going to get changed.

If you filed your 2019 return late last year (after mid-November) or your return was processed after that time - try entering "0" as the AGI. The 2020 IRS e-file database will not have the AGI from your late-filed (or unprocessed), but may accept a 2020 e-filing using "0"

Unfortunately, the IRS does not have that.  You don't even have to request the transcript, you  can just printed directly from the IRS website, after they have processed the tax returns.  My understanding is that the IRS is about 6.7 million 2019 returns behind (as of Jan 30, 2020), which will generate an even more delays if all these taxpayers are forced to send by mail their 2020 returns.  Turbotax and the other companies serving the public, could contact the IRS to discuss the problem and find a solution, even if it is just for this year.

jpmd
Level 1

In my case (paper joint return filed in March of 2020 and received - check for payment sent with return was cashed and is reported by IRS - but return still not processed) submitting 0 for 2019 AGI was again rejected, but after I entered 0 for spouse's AGI and resubmitted, was accepted.   So, if filing a joint return and 2019 return still not processed, to have success filing electronically you can try entering 0 for both spouses' AGI.  Worked for me, YMMV.

Bravo!  It worked.  The AGI for both spouces has to be entered as 0. 

Thank you.

This was very helpful.  My 2020 returns were rejected multiple times even though I was providing the correct AGI amount.  I checked my account at the IRS site and was surprised to note that IRS had not processed my 2019 return I submitted by mail into their Dbase. So obviously there was a conflict between the AGI amount in IRS dbase which was zero at this point and the correct amount I was providing in Turbo Tax. Therefore changed the amount in Turbo Tax to zero and the return was then accepted.  I then confirmed that my 2019 refund hit my bank account which was an indication that my return made it to IRS but probably due to workload in the Covid environment there is a delay in updating their Dbase. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies