Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 1099-OID shows $1,900 in box 8 (Treasury OID) and $2,200 in box 10 (Bond Premium). TurboTax is triggering an error (Premium > Interest). How to work around?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Anita01

My 1099-OID shows $1,900 in box 8 (Treasury OID) and $2,200 in box 10 (Bond Premium). TurboTax is triggering an error (Premium > Interest). How to work around?

Split it into 2 separate  forms, one with the OID and one with the Premium

The one with Premium has zero instead of $1,900 and generates the same error.
Anita01

Try putting the same amounnt as the OID in Box 11, so Box 8 and 11 are equal

The error compares Box 10 to Box 2 so these fixes don't work.  I gave up and entered Bond Premium into a 1099-INT.

I think there is a problem with TT. It doesn't seem to handle 1099-OIDs correctly. I have a 1099-OID from some tax exempt bonds with APB on line 10. The interest on these bonds are included in 1099-INT with interest from other tax exempt bonds that are not OID. TT is just ignoring the APB on 1099-OID causing extra state tax on the interest equal to APB amount on 1099-OID. It looks like I have to add the APB on 1099-OID to the APB on 1099-INT in order pay the correct tax amount to my state. I guess I will do what you have done and ADD the APB on 1099-OID line 10 to the line 13 in 1099-INT. I will let Uncle Sam to figure it out if it not the right way to handle it.

fspeltzm

this fix will work as long as the 1099-int has at least as much us treasury interest income (box  3) as the bond premium.

in that case, enter the premium in box 12, which will reduce the taxable interest.  i also added an explanatory statement.  the other alternative, if you itemize, is to enter the premium on schedule A under "other expenses" & add something like "bond premium on treasuries" as a descriptor.   i suppose you could also report the oid in box 2 of the oid form rather than box 8.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies