turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax filing question?

I'm starting an online resale business on eBay. I will be the sole proprietor and I'm married. I will run the business by myself my wife will not be involved. Also, my wife is unemployed and collects SSI. My question is how should I file when the time comes? Jointly or separately? Thanks in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Tax filing question?

Unless you have a reason to keep your financial obligations separate from one another, it is almost always more beneficial taxwise for a married couple to file a joint return even if only one spouse has taxable income.  

One reason to keep things separate would be if one spouse had previous obligations that may seize the tax refund for payment.  However, even that situation can be handled when a joint return is filed.  

When you are working on your return, if you use the CD/downloaded version of TurboTax, you will have more freedom to enter your information and make a quick comparison between Married Filing Joint and Married Filing Separate.  The online version of TurboTax does not have the same functionality for this quick comparison.  

The following TurboTax article will tell you more about the comparison available in the downloaded version:

How can we compare married filing joint with married filing separate?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Tax filing question?

Unless you have a reason to keep your financial obligations separate from one another, it is almost always more beneficial taxwise for a married couple to file a joint return even if only one spouse has taxable income.  

One reason to keep things separate would be if one spouse had previous obligations that may seize the tax refund for payment.  However, even that situation can be handled when a joint return is filed.  

When you are working on your return, if you use the CD/downloaded version of TurboTax, you will have more freedom to enter your information and make a quick comparison between Married Filing Joint and Married Filing Separate.  The online version of TurboTax does not have the same functionality for this quick comparison.  

The following TurboTax article will tell you more about the comparison available in the downloaded version:

How can we compare married filing joint with married filing separate?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Tax filing question?

Okay, thank you. From what you said and from what I found online it does sound like filing jointly would be the best solution. I will also look into getting the CD version of TurboTax.  Thanks again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies