turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax extenders 2018- I had thought turbo tax was going to notify customers if this changed? It looks like now the tax extenders bill was passed and can now claim pmi?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Tax extenders 2018- I had thought turbo tax was going to notify customers if this changed? It looks like now the tax extenders bill was passed and can now claim pmi?

On December 20, 2020, the president signed into law "tax extenders" that made some changes that are retroactive to both 2018 and 2019 tax year, including the deductibility of Mortgage insurance Premiums and the Tuition and Fees Deduction.   

TurboTax has prioritized the 2019 changes to assist our customers best who are filing returns for the current year. 

It will take some time before we can release an update to the 2018 amendment software to address those issues.

We will notify customers when the 2018 software is updated.  At this time, we do not have an estimated timeframe for those updates. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. How long do I have to amend my 2018 return? 

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

You have 3 years from the date you filed your 2018 return (or 2 years after you paid the tax due, whichever is later) to file an amended return.

Read the original article here.

leppard63
Returning Member

Are the changes added to the 2019 Turbotax program yet? Doesn't help that you stopped supplying what is added when the program updates.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

It appears that PMI is being accepted in TurboTax Online Self Employed. 

See also here.

tmilligin

I just downloaded 2018 Amendment software in hopes that I could amend my 2018 return to deduct my PMI. It does not seem to be updated. Is there an ETA when the software will be updated?

Thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies