turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

marybellda
Returning Member

tax advice

I filed my taxes before the extra $10,200 deduction was signed. I collected unemployment benefits in the state of Massachusetts.

I received a letter from the state of Massachusetts unemployment office stating that a Amendment will automatically be done for me and I do NOT need to pay to have this done.

So.... Do I have to pay money (federal or state) if I owe back before May 17th following my first filing ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

tax advice

will you still owe after the nontaxable portion of UC is eliminated?  there's no guidance of what to do in such a circumstance. why not call the state's department of revenue.  if you won't owe after the nontaxable portion is eliminated, pay nothing.

marybellda
Returning Member

tax advice

Thanks....fyi.....no, I will not owe and they will owe ME over $1000.

I just don't want to get fines/interest because government looks out for government.

tax advice

If you had a tax due on the original return and haven't paid yet you don't have to pay it.  Wait for the IRS to send you the new refund or a new bill.

If you already filed and didn't get the 10,200 unemployment exclusion you do not need to amend.  The IRS will be adjusting it for you.  See,

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m...

You can log back into your return and it should automatically update your return and show you the new refund.  But the updated return won't be sent.  The IRS will adjust it for you.

marybellda
Returning Member

tax advice

thanks very much

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies