Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stock Sales with Code “X” on 1099B

Hello, I have a 1099B that says “Box 5: Non-Covered Securities – Code X (unknown Holding Period)”.  How should I put the data on Form 8949?

1099B has the following:

Box 1a – Number of shares – 80

Box 1b – Date Acquired – “--” (blank?)

Box 1c – Date Sold – 2/22/2023

Box 1d, 6** (what does 6** mean?) – Proceeds - $560

Box 1e – Cost of Other Basis – “--” (blank?)

Box 4 – Federal Tax Withheld – $0

Box 1g – Wash sale loss disallowed - “--” (blank?)

Box 1f – Accrued market discount – blank

Looking at my records, I found the stock issued date was 5/10/2019.  I can’t find the cost on my records, so I searched the internet and found the stock price on 5/10/2019 was $23.

On Form 8949, should I put the information that I found that is not on the 1099B as follows?

Box E “checked” – Long Term transactions on 1099B showing basis wasn’t reported to IRS

column (b) date acquired – 5/10/2019

column (e) cost or other basis - $1,840 (80 shares x $ 23 internet searched price on that day)

column (h) gain/loss – loss of $1,280 ($560 proceed minus $1,840 calculated cost)

Also, what do I put on column (f) and (g)?  Does the Code “X” on the 1099B mean I should put “X” on column (f), or some other code per the Form 8949 instructions?

Or should I put “$0” on column (e) as zero cost, and put the calculated cost of $1,840 based on the internet searched price on 5/10/2019 on column (g) as “adjustment”? If I do this, what do I put on column “f” as code?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I have a similar question. 

I need to report an amount on Form 8949, Box 5, Non-covered Securities—Code X (unknown Holding Period). Am I missing something in TurboTax? I can't find a Code X on the dropdown menu.

I re-posted this question, and the replies that I got from the other post were to enter the acquired date and cost basis using my own records (or contact your broker to see if they may have the info somewhere), check box "E" (long term uncovered), not to put anything on column f and g since there was no adjustment, the broker just did not provide the info because the stock was not "covered securities". 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies