turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Lay3250

Stimulus check

Do I qualify?? My mom claimed me in 2018 but she didn’t file in 2019. I filed myself in 2019 and an not a dependent!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Stimulus check

Since you filed a 2019 return, the IRS will use the information from your 2019 return to receive the stimulus check.  Since you were not a dependent on someone else's tax's return for 2019 you should receive the stimulus check.  

This is who is eligible for a stimulus payment

The amount you'll receive will depend on your total income in 2019 or 2018. If you qualify, you'll receive one payment. Here's who qualifies:

• If you're a single US resident and have an adjusted gross income less than $99,000
  • If you file as the head of a household and earn under $146,500
  • If you file jointly without children and earn less than $198,000

How much you'll get as a single taxpayer

A single US resident must have a Social Security number and an AGI under $75,000 to receive the full amount of $1,200. The sum decreases as your AGI goes up. If your adjusted gross income reaches $99,000, you won't be eligible for the stimulus. 

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Stimulus check

Since you filed a 2019 return, the IRS will use the information from your 2019 return to receive the stimulus check.  Since you were not a dependent on someone else's tax's return for 2019 you should receive the stimulus check.  

This is who is eligible for a stimulus payment

The amount you'll receive will depend on your total income in 2019 or 2018. If you qualify, you'll receive one payment. Here's who qualifies:

• If you're a single US resident and have an adjusted gross income less than $99,000
  • If you file as the head of a household and earn under $146,500
  • If you file jointly without children and earn less than $198,000

How much you'll get as a single taxpayer

A single US resident must have a Social Security number and an AGI under $75,000 to receive the full amount of $1,200. The sum decreases as your AGI goes up. If your adjusted gross income reaches $99,000, you won't be eligible for the stimulus. 

payanin

Stimulus check

My Parents claimed me as their dependent 2019 tax, but I still filed my own tax & got a refund. Will I get a stimulus check?

Stimulus check

@payanin  Sorry no, when you are claimed as a dependent on someone else's return you do not qualify for the stimulus money.

ianbatty001
Returning Member

Stimulus check

I just filed my taxes and stated that my dad claimed me, but he just told me that he actually didn't. Do I need to send an amendment to get the stimulus, and if so, will it be accepted and filed before the the deadline in July?

Stimulus check

Good morning,

I filed my 2019 and claimed my 22 year old son since he didn't work in 2019.  But he worked in 2018 and filed his own taxes and I didn't claim him.  Will he get a stimulus check since he filed 2018 taxes and was not claimed on my tax return?

If he is not eligible because i claimed him, can i revise my taxes and take him out so that he can get the stimulus check based on his 2018 tax return.

Thanks for your help.

Stimulus check

@ianbatty001 I'm currently in this dilemma as well. But unfortunately there's no way to actually amend tax returns right now, as all amended returns are mailed and the IRS is not accepting any mailed returns currently.

Stimulus check

@mcaputo1969 The report is that they go off the most recent information, and since you filed for 2019, they would likely go off that and classify him as a dependent. As for amending, there's no real way to amend a return right now as amended returns are mailed and the IRS is not accepting mailed returns currently.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Stimulus check

Correct.  Eventually, the amendments will be processed making him eligible for a stimulus payment once he then files an informational return.  This is not the only option however. 

The other option is don't file any amendments for this year and when filing your 2020 returns do not claim him as a dependent.  He should file his own 2020 return and indicate that he "CANNOT" be claimed on someone else's return. He will then qualify for the stimulus payment as part of that return. 

Here is a link to the Tax Foundation site for answers to many questions on the stimulus package.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Stimulus check

Thank you.  He is working now and will be filing his own taxes next year.

So he will get the 1200 in addition to his tax return?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Stimulus check

Yes that is correct.  The stimulus payments are refundable credits.  You get the credit on top of any income tax refunds.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
micaloca
Returning Member

Stimulus check

Hello, I am a J1 participant of 2018 summer work and travel program and I just filed my 2018 return yesterday and still waiting for the approval. Since my BB&T bank account was closed so direct deposit won't work. Mailing check is the alternative for my return. Am I qualified for stimulus check? Even if I just got to file my 2018 tax return yesterday.

shortnezz

Stimulus check

Good morning,I am homeless and filed my stimulus and got accepted by IRS, I don't file taxes last year or this year ,do I need to file anything to receive my stimulus refund ,I put my NetSpend routing no. ,And a c.no. for direct deposit but can't track my refund ,but I got a text from IRS saying it was accepted .

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies