turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

state tax return

1. I have my own house in NV, so i think it’s my tax home?

2. I started graduate school in September 2019 in NJ, and I didn’t make any  income there 

3. I have a Form 1065 k-1 from NY, which I didn’t make money in 2019.

Which state tax return should I file? Thanks! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RobertG
Expert Alumni

state tax return

Nevada has no state income tax, so you don't have to file there.

If you spent more than 30 days in NJ and had more than $7,500 from all sources for the entire year, you are required to file a NJ part-year resident return. Who Must File

You must file a NY nonresident return if You are a nonresident with New York source income and your New York adjusted gross income Federal amount column (Form IT-203, line 31) exceeds your New York standard deduction.

If you are a nonresident, your New York source income is the sum of your income, gains, losses, and deductions from your distributive share of New York State partnership income or gain.  Since that is a loss, you don't have to file a NY return.

Filing information for New York State nonresidents

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
RobertG
Expert Alumni

state tax return

Nevada has no state income tax, so you don't have to file there.

If you spent more than 30 days in NJ and had more than $7,500 from all sources for the entire year, you are required to file a NJ part-year resident return. Who Must File

You must file a NY nonresident return if You are a nonresident with New York source income and your New York adjusted gross income Federal amount column (Form IT-203, line 31) exceeds your New York standard deduction.

If you are a nonresident, your New York source income is the sum of your income, gains, losses, and deductions from your distributive share of New York State partnership income or gain.  Since that is a loss, you don't have to file a NY return.

Filing information for New York State nonresidents

state tax return

Thanks for your reply, Robert! 

Can I ask: I have 3 times international funds transfer from different relatives into my bank account in USA  in 2019 and the combined total amount is more than $100K. Should I file one Form 3520 or three Form 3520? 

MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

state tax return

@njliyi

You should only file one form 3520 and report the three transactions.

state tax return

Thanks!  

If those 3 persons are Not related and each transferred more than $100k to me, in such case, I need to file Three form 3520? 

MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

state tax return

@njliyi

No, you still file one form 3520 and list the three transfers in Part IV.

state tax return

oh , I got it.  Thanks! 

state tax return

can I ask you another question about form 1065 k-1? it is my first time to get that form. it only has numbers in box 5 interest income $4k, box 13 with code W other deduction $4k, box 20 A $4k. The description for box 13 W : Business and administration expenses.   

I didn’t get that $4k interest income in real.  Does that mean I don’t need to file NY tax return?  If i have to report Ny tax return, how should i report box 13 W, itemized deduction Schedule A or some other form? 

state tax return

Hello, should mail Form 3520 with Federal Income Tax return together or mail Form 3520 separately? 

I paid property tax for house in NV, but since there is no state income tax return in NV, how do I get tax deduct or refund from tax return because of the property tax paid? 

Manage cookies