Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I thought one state efile was free

I bought the Deluxe which I believed to include 5 free efiles and one state efile, but had to pay $19.99 for the state efile… what's the deal?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

The state software was included---but e-filing the state incurs a fee.   Avoid the state e-file fee by printing and mailing the state return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

There is a lot of confusion about this. For the Desktop versions Deluxe and above, it's a free download of one state preparation PROGRAM, not returns filed. You can prepare unlimited federal and unlimited state returns. Some people need to file in more than one state so they have to buy another state program at 39.99. You can print and mail the state for free or each state return (including the first one) is 19.99 until March, then goes to 24.99.

Noooo... one state Program is included ... but with the downloaded version each state efile has an extra fee ... you can print and mail the return for free. 

1....jpg2....jpg3....jpg 

There has always been a fee to efile a state return from the Desktop program except in New York.  Did you move to NJ?  Check your credit card statements or you could have had the fees deducted from a federal refund.  Or you printed and mailed the state return.

Peace168
Returning Member

if I have to efile 3 different copies from same state, do I need to paid 3 time?  of does one payment covers multiple  efile from same state.

Huh?  Why do you need to file 3 copies?  You mean 3 state returns for different people?  Are you using the Desktop program or the Online web version?

Peace168
Returning Member

yes 3 different tax return from 3 different people.  desktop/CD

It is currently 24.99 to efile each state return.  Or you can print and mail state for free from the Desktop program.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies