turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Changing my dependent status on my return

To change your grandson's dependent status on his return, follow these instructions:

1. Select Personal Info,
  2. Select Continue,
  3. Select Edit next to your grandsons name,
  4. Question No. 3 is the Can someone else claim you question.
  5. Correct.  

You may now re-file your grandson's tax return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dschreck72
Returning Member

This is NOT accurate.  The IRS is NOT rejecting.  It is ONLY Turbo Tax that is doing so and they will intentionally give you inaccurate info!!!!  So,don't use them for both your "dependent" and yourself!!! And calling them is pure BS on their part.  They will LIE to you about it....and then you are essentially screwed.  Good luck with that!!!!  I switched companies that I file with because we had already filed for my son...a few days ago.  

When I filed my adult sons return I thought we could claim him as a dependent. When I was later doing our return, I learned we could not claim him.   I went back into TT and changed his filing status under amend return.  It changed his Michigan return, however there was no option to submit this change to the IRS- only Michigan.   Is this going to stop him from qualifying for the stimulus check? He is laid off due to covid.  What should I do?  I tried calling the IRS but there is no one available to speak. 

Did you get an answer on this? I’m in the same boat. Now I worry it will affect his stimulus

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Yes. It may not have made a difference to the calculations on the amended return if his income was such that it did not change the amount of his standard deduction or change any tax credits. However, you still need to make the change with the IRS. 

Coronavirus Tax Update

What do I need to know about the coronavirus stimulus package?

IRS Economic impact payments: What you need to know

IRS Coronavirus Relief

Mbear

I am in the same boat.  Our daughter thought we could claim her when she filed her first tax return, but we cannot.  I have been trying to work with 1040-X for 2019 but it's confusing.  It would be great if those of us who are trying to help our young adults amend their 2019 returns could quickly help them so they will be able to recieve the stimulus check that they need.  Any instructions would be so helpful.

Thanks!

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

To amend your filing status, you go to the Personal Info in TurboTax. 

In this section you go to Filing Status and click Edit.  Then change information to indicate that you cannot be claimed on another person's tax return.

Once you completed your changes you can print, sign, date and mail your tax return according to the instructions that print out with the return.

Amended returns cannot be efiled.

@Mbear

Thanks! I did that before posting and it only changed my Michigan status.  It triggered no change in federal and gave me no option to print or mail off a 1040x.  Only affected Michigan and allowed me to electronically transmit the amendment. 

Is the change of dependency status something the irs will require for my son to get his stimulus?

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

If your son is listed as a dependent, then he will not get a stimulus payment mailed to him.

The stimulus payment is a 2020 tax credit that is being paid in advance. He should be able to file a return for 2020 and receive the tax credit next year. 

If you want to try to get your son the credit this year, I would amend your tax return. Use the download version of the amend software and force the program to print a 1040X. Make sure you put the reason for amending the return in the space provided. I do not know whether this will work to get him the stimulus this year. It takes 6 weeks for a typical amended return to be processed at the IRS. 

@Hfischer05

He was not claimed as a dependent on my tax return.   The issue is that I THOUGHT he could be claimed, so when I did HIS taxes, I selected “could be claimed as a dependent by someone else”.  
it was after his return was accepted that I did my return and found he could not be claimed.  

I went back into the software and CHANGED the status in TurboTax which resulted in a larger refund for our state.  However, it triggered NO CHANGE on the Federal and therefore did not trigger a 1040x.   What I’m asking is if I need to maybe fill out a 1040x by hand and have him mail it in?  Or does he not need to do anything because he wasn’t actually claimed as a dependent. 

I just need instructions. There is no one at the irs available to help and their help desk can only offer all the links I’ve already read. 

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

I am sorry I misread your earlier post. I believe that your son should file an amended return. As I stated before, I do not know whether this will provide him with a stimulus payment this year. It takes 6 weeks for an amended return to be processed.

If you are having trouble with the online version producing a 1040X, I would download the software and force the 1040X to be produced in Forms Mode. 

To download the software you can sign in to your sons' account and in 2019 select Amend and then choose the Download software. You can also download it here. You will also need to download a .tax file. Open the .tax file and go through the amending process. If the system is not producing a 1040X, in Forms Mode use the search to find the 1040X.

If you want to file the 1040X by hand, that is your prerogative. If your sons' return is fairly simple, it should not be a problem. You can find the 1040X here and the Instructions here. 

McQuade9

Hi /hfischer05,

I am dealing with the same exact problem. I’m sure a lot of other people are as well. Hopefully the IRS opens up soon and posts something about whether or not people that chose “I will be claimed as a dependent” (but actually wasn’t) will get the check. One way or another, we will get the stimulus check!

Please keep me updated if you find out

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

If you are a dependent who is 17 or 18 (or a full-time student through age 24) you not qualify for the stimulus payment. This prevents many high school juniors and seniors from receiving any stimulus money. The tax code defines a child as “not attained age 17.” The stimulus bill relies on this definition and many other pieces of the existing tax code.  

If you are over the age of 24 you do not qualify as dependent. Then you would be eligible for the stimulus payment as long as you file a federal tax return. You can file a simple 2019 return even if they have no taxable income. 

He is 20 (19 at the time) and not a student.  He was living at home and on our insurance which is why I thought we could claim him.  He did file a federal return but on the return it said he could be claimed.   He however WAS NOT CLAIMED.  The question is DOES he need to MANUALLY fill out and send in a 1040x because when we changed his status in the program and when we did that, it only affected his Michigan return.  We did file that amendment but no 1040x was triggered federally.   So, will the IRS know he was not claimed or is there something we need to do

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies