turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I file now or later

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, it would be a good idea to file now, so you will get the economic impact payment as soon as possible.

You can file your return  now and pay later. If you indicate you are going to pay by check, you will get a payment voucher to mail in when you are ready.

You also have the option to pay electronically at a later date either through TurboTax or directly at the IRS website.

Click here for IRS direct pay.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

My wife & I are both currently unemployed and our preliminary completion of Federal Taxes resulted in us having to owe money this year (had to do this in past couple years). Since the IRS is giving us until July to file, we opted wait.

Now we are wondering if we should complete and submit  our 2019 Federal Taxes quickly and ask for an extension to pay, so to easily get access to the governments stimulus check? They don't have our direct deposit information (since we owed in past years) and if using this years W2's (2019) the joint income is below the $150,000 (past years were a bit higher). 

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, it would be a good idea to file now, so you will get the economic impact payment as soon as possible.

You can file your return  now and pay later. If you indicate you are going to pay by check, you will get a payment voucher to mail in when you are ready.

You also have the option to pay electronically at a later date either through TurboTax or directly at the IRS website.

Click here for IRS direct pay.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies