turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Self-employed

Good morning, thank you for the opportunity to ask a question. I’m self-employed with around 90k yearly income. Is it a good idea to set up an LLC and pay myself a salary in a reasonable amount, and receive the rest of income through a distribution? Awaiting your response. Thank you! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Self-employed

A single-member LLC is disregarded for federal income tax purposes; it is treated as a sole proprietorship unless an election is made to treat the LLC as a corporation.

As a result, your single-member LLC could not pay you a salary (again, unless an election was made to treat the LLC as a corporation).

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Self-employed

A single-member LLC is disregarded for federal income tax purposes; it is treated as a sole proprietorship unless an election is made to treat the LLC as a corporation.

As a result, your single-member LLC could not pay you a salary (again, unless an election was made to treat the LLC as a corporation).

Self-employed

Thank you for the prompt response. My wife works with me so she can be an employee as well, will that qualify since it will be two employees now?

Self-employed

Even if you have a multi-member LLC, the default entity type is a partnership. 

As such, members (partners) could only receive guaranteed payments, which are reported on their K-1s (not W-2s). 

In other words, partners of a partnership and members of an LLC (under the default classification) cannot be employees of the entities of which they are partners/members.

Self-employed

Thank you

Self-employed

If I may, what would you suggest to do in order to deal with the self-employed tax, Social Security, etc. in a more efficient way in my case? Thank you again. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies