turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jerry U
Returning Member

RMD under CARES Act

I took my full year lump sum RMD for 2020 on Jan 5th. At this time, under the CARES Act., 2020 RMD's are deferred...but no one can tell me (Including IRS which is unavailable) whether the 60-day redeposit feature has also been extended.  I'd like to redeposit the lump sum $$ I withdrew in January if at all possible to take advantage of NOT having a RMD in 2020.  Does anyone know anything about a "re-deposit" time extention or anything pertaining to this situation?  Thanks in advance Jerry U

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

RMD under CARES Act

Currently, there is no extension to the 60 day redeposit rule for taking an RMD in 2020.

@Jerry U

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jtax
Level 10

RMD under CARES Act

This just in. Now you can rollover all RMD's taken in 2020 until the end of August. Wow. And it doesn't use up your once a year rollover.

https://investornews.vanguard/what-the-cares-act-means-for-you/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
garyhat

RMD under CARES Act

Will TurboTax for 2020 tax year address RMD amounts which were redeposited into an IRA? I did an early withdrawal but under the CARES Act guidelines, I redeposited a portion of that money back into my IRA. Hopefully TurboTax will prompt me thru that without needing a CPA or tax professional of some sort.

RMD under CARES Act

How to claim credit for rmd redeposit due to CARES Acton 1040? Received a 1099 R with RMD shown as taxable income though a redeposit was made before Aug 31, 2020.

Thanks.

RMD under CARES Act

Ditto

RMD under CARES Act

@scapoor2 wrote:

How to claim credit for rmd redeposit due to CARES Acton 1040? Received a 1099 R with RMD shown as taxable income though a redeposit was made before Aug 31, 2020.

Thanks.

Enter the 1099-R and answer the RMD question that "NONE of the distribution  was a RMD, then  indicate that the  money was  moved to another (or same) retirement account - rolled over.

Enter a 1099-R here:

Federal Taxes,
Wages & Income
(I'll choose what I work on - if that screen comes up)
Retirement Plans & Social Security,
IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).

OR  Use the "Tools" menu (if online version left side) and then "Search Topics" for "1099-R" which will take you to the same place.

Be sure to choose which spouse the 1099-R is for if this is a joint tax return.
Be sure to pick the correct 1099-R type: Standard 1099-R, CSA-1099-R, CSF-1099-R, RRB-1099-R.

[NOTE: When you get to the "Your 1099-R Entries" screen where you can add another 1099-R, use "continue" to keep going as there are additional interview questions after that screen in most cases. You can always return as shown above.]

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies