turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pban
Level 1

Reporting primary house sale in GA while moved to Virginia?

Hi,

For 2020, we are filing the return as "Married filing jointly".

We moved to Virginia in 2019 and able to sell our primary residence in GA on 2/20/2020. We lived in that house 8+ years and have a capital gain of $80,000 (and so non-taxable). There was no tax withholding at the time of sale and an "Affidavit of Seller's Residence" says: Seller is exempt from withholding on the sale of a property because

[X] Seller is a resident of Georgia

[X] Seller will report the sale on a Georgia Income Tax return for the current year and file by its due date

For 2020, all our earnings are from our current resident VA. So, we bought TurboTax and also bought the state GA separately to report our home sale there. But after entering all our data into Turbotax, we do not see the sale of the house appearing under GA. It is reporting to VA as an attachment (Schedule D - Form 1040), but not to GA.

Please help to file our returns correctly.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If you are preparing a Non-Resident State Return for Georgia, and your home there was never a Rental Property, you would report the sale as the 'sale of a second home'.

Georgia would normally charge a 3% tax on the proceeds to Residents, which may be paid at closing.  If your closing statement indicates that, you may want to file a return to report the tax paid.

If not, click this link for more info from Georgia Dept. of Revenue which appears to indicate that if you filed Georgia returns for the prior two years, you would be considered a Resident for this purpose. 

Prepare your Non-Resident return first, and pay close attention to the questions regarding your home sale. 

This link has more info on the subject of Home Sale in Georgia by non-residents. 

Here's How to Contact your State Dept of Revenue

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pban
Level 1

Thanks for the guidance and sorry for my late response which is due to some other issues I was dealing with.

But my bad, I have not mentioned that both I and my wife were officially GA residents until March 2020. So we will be filing as a part-year resident. And I do not see any clear instructions on the GA tax site.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The GA return begins with the federal AGI and is adjusted for your GA income. The house is included in your federal AGI - none, and your state, no income. The form for filing it on your return is really looking to make sure people that have taxable income report it. You are fine. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pban
Level 1

Thank you so much.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies