turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dwayne 876
Returning Member

Reminder: You haven’t filed your 2019 taxes yet

I got an email that says "Everything is almost done, and your return is ready to be e‑filed, but you’re missing one little thing. The IRS has security rules in place that require your 2018 AGI (adjusted gross income) to confirm your identity before sending off your 2019 tax return". I am a Jamaican and I only spent 3 months in the country which means I don't have 2018 AGI. How do I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Deleted answer.

@Dwayne 876 wrote:

I got an email that says "Everything is almost done, and your return is ready to be e‑filed, but you’re missing one little thing. The IRS has security rules in place that require your 2018 AGI (adjusted gross income) to confirm your identity before sending off your 2019 tax return". I am a Jamaican and I only spent 3 months in the country which means I don't have 2018 AGI. How do I fix this?

What is your citizenship status?   Are you a US citizen or "resident alien for tax purposes?"   Or are you a non-resident alien? 

TurboTax cannot prepare a return for non-resident aliens, since it does not prepare Form 1040NR/NR-EZ.   I can ask someone familiar with international filing to help you figure out how you are classified and if you can use TurboTax or not.  If you can't use TurboTax, we can tell you about an affiliate partner that can prepare non-resident alien returns.

Were the 3 months in 2019 the extent of your presence in the US?   What type of visa were you under?

Dwayne 876
Returning Member

J1 and yes in 2019.

@Dwayne 876 wrote:

J1 and yes in 2019.

I'm not a tax person, but if you were on a student J-1 visa for only 3 months of 2019, you probably cannot use TurboTax since it cannot prepare non-resident alien returns.  In that case, one would need to use its affiliate partner Sprintax (one "t").

Since I'm a fellow user and not a tax person, I'm going to ask someone familiar with international filing to further advise you in this thread, in case there are any additional situations pertaining to Jamaica.   I don't know if it will be today or not.

In the meantime, see this FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/does-turbotax-handle-form-1040nr-for-nonresident-aliens...

@ pk  Are you please able to assist in this thread when you are next in the forum.   Thanks!

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Dwayne 876 , having gone through your interactions/comments with @mesquitebean ,  I still have one more question ---  were you in the USA ( for any purpose ) during the years 2017 and 2018 or was 2019 your very first visit ?

Unless you have been in the USA at any time except for the 3 months in 2019, you appear to not have met the  Substantial Presence Test and therefore would be considered a Non-Resident Alien ( NRA).  Generally NRAs  are taxed ONLY on their US sourced/connect income by the USA and is reported on form 1040-NR or  1040-NR-EZ.  Neither of these forms are supported by TurboTax  -- ( you have to use  SprinTax, Tax Professional or similar services).

BTW--Are you still here ?  ,  When did you enter the USA with the J-1 ( Trainee? / Researcher ?  ) visa ?

I await your response

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies