Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rejected Indiana State Return

I received this error when I tried to file Indiana State Return:

Description of error:
FIT40RNR-012-002: If Line 8 of the IT40RNR, CountyTaxWithheld is not null or zero, it must equal sum of local tax withheld amount(s) on all wage statements. Other withholding not on an Indiana-supported wage statement is not included.

What needs to be done:
This Indiana state return is rejected due to incorrect filing. Indiana Form IT-40RNR is only for full year residents of Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, or Wisconsin, whose income from Indiana sources is only from wages, salaries, tips or commissions. While unemployment compensation from Indiana sources received by an Indiana nonresident is not subject to tax in Indiana, you must file Form IT-40PNR to claim a refund of ANY Indiana state/county withholdings. Please review the reason for the reject. If necessary, make the appropriate change and re-submit this return electronically. However, if the reject continues, you may want to file this return via U.S. Mail. To file your state return, print it and mail to the appropriate taxing authority.

Continue

ALSO THIS REJECTION:

Description of error:
FIT40RNR-009-002: If Line 7 on the IT40RNR, TaxWithheld is not null or zero, it must equal the sum of state tax withheld amount(s) on all wage statements. Other withholding not on an Indiana-supported wage statement is not included.

What needs to be done:
This Indiana state return is rejected due to incorrect filing. Indiana Form IT-40RNR is only for full year residents of Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, or Wisconsin, whose income from Indiana sources is only from wages, salaries, tips or commissions. While unemployment compensation from Indiana sources received by an Indiana nonresident is not subject to tax in Indiana, you must file Form IT-40PNR to claim a refund of ANY Indiana state/county withholdings. Please review the reason for the reject. If necessary, make the appropriate change and re-submit this return electronically. However, if the reject continues, you may want to file this return via U.S. Mail. To file your state return, print it and mail to the appropriate taxing authority.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

To fix this, go back to the beginning of the Indiana state interview, and change the type of return from a Nonresident Reciprocal Return to a standard Nonresident return.  Indiana is requiring this form to be filed because of the unemployment.  Neither your earnings nor your unemployment is taxed in Indiana, but you must file the standard Nonresident Return, instead of the Reciprocal Return, in order to claim it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

To fix this, go back to the beginning of the Indiana state interview, and change the type of return from a Nonresident Reciprocal Return to a standard Nonresident return.  Indiana is requiring this form to be filed because of the unemployment.  Neither your earnings nor your unemployment is taxed in Indiana, but you must file the standard Nonresident Return, instead of the Reciprocal Return, in order to claim it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much! You were spot on!

had the same issue, but once i changed this, my refund went from $0 before to $900+ after the change. Can that be right?

I want to say yes. If I remember correctly, it bumped up what I got back a good portion, when I changed it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies