turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fintek1
Returning Member

Rejected 4 times after fix F1040-454 - Form 1040, 'TotalAdjustmentsToIncomeAmt' must be equal to 'TotalAdjustmentsAmt' plus ( ) 'CharitableContributionAmt'.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
KrisD15
Employee Tax Expert

Rejected 4 times after fix F1040-454 - Form 1040, 'TotalAdjustmentsToIncomeAmt' must be equal to 'TotalAdjustmentsAmt' plus ( ) 'CharitableContributionAmt'.

It COULD be the above-the-line cash contribution entry. 

“The new "up to $300 above the line cash charity donation" is available for tax year 2020. This allows a Taxpayer to claim up to a $300 credit which is subtracted from income on the 1040 line 10c if the Taxpayer is claiming the Standard Deduction. (If you Itemize Deductions, all your donations will be listed on Schedule A.) “

Please check this way:

TurboTax ONLINE

Click Tax Tools on the left side bar

Click Tools from the drop-down

Click the "Topic Search" box on the screen

Type or scroll down to    standard deduction and exemptions

Click GO 

The next screen gives you an option to change your selection from Standard to Itemized and back. You do not need to change your selection

Scroll down to the bottom of that screen and click CONTINUE

The next screen is the Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act screen

IF YOU ARE CLAIMING STANDARD DEDUCTION enter the amount of cash contributions you made, up to  300

IF YOU ARE ITEMIZING DEDUCTIONS enter 0

Scroll down and click Continue

Click Continue on the next screen

DESKTOP

Go to Step-By-Step input

Click Federal

Click Deductions & Credits along the top

Click “I’ll choose what I work on”

Edit or Update Donations to Charity in 2020 if needed, then click “Done with Charitable Donations”

Scroll down the “Your 2020 Deductions & Credits” screen and click “Done with Deductions”

Click Continue on the “Let’s Check Your Deductions and Credits” screen

Continue through the following interview questions until you get to the “Here Are Your 2020 Deductions & Credits” screen

Click Continue

If the next screen says “The Standard deduction is Right for You!” click Continue

ON THE NEXT SCREEN enter the cash contribution made in 2020 and click Continue

If it says you're Itemizing, enter 0 for cash contributions made

Your 1040 should update

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mar 1960
Returning Member

Necesito ayuda online para terminar mis taxas 

fintek1
Returning Member

Did not help.  There is a flaw in the software.  The deductions show, the math is good.  I have zeroed out the deductions, rebooted, re-entered data, still rejected. No one will answer phone calls.  Just get put in a continuos loop of same old non help. 16 hours of entering data.  The fixit button shows up after each rejection of filing returns, but does not seem to do anything when pressed. You would think that the new add of $300 deduction would have been trouble shot, but itemized fails each time.😪

lloyd964
Returning Member

What line on1040sr is the issue?

fintek1
Returning Member

TT does not say.  Only the data from the rejection. Zeroed out charitable donation line, rebooted, renter Ed and still same rejection.  No one has offered a fix so did taxes myself since turbo tax auto fix said it was good but still rejected.  Asked for refunds but intuit is silent. Not happy.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

In order to request a refund, you will need to contact customer support by phone @fintek1.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
fintek1
Returning Member

Great advice, catch 22, call to get refund, yet no one answers the phone. If they did maybe someone could fix the problem of the feds rejecting my return. Guess to hit their Peter principle.

I had the same issue.

Form 1040, 'TotalAdjustmentsToIncomeAmt' must be equal to 'TotalAdjustmentsAmt' plus (+) 'CharitableContributionAmt'.

Supposedly TurboTax can self-fix the issue, but after several failed attempts to submit my taxes. I realized that was going to be futile.

Looking at the 1040, lines 10a and 10b were empty. Line 10c was supposed to be the sum of those, so it should have been empty, too, or at least 0, but instead it had a value. That was the error that made it be rejected.

There was no way to delete the number, and I couldn't find a way to get TurboTax to update it, so I ended up having to redo all my taxes ... which was super fun, especially since I waited until May 17th, late at night (because who doesn't like a little stress in their life, right?).

The one bright side is that TurboTax didn't try to charge me for submitting for a different e-file.

FWIW, I think it may have happened because when I was going through, I had an incomplete return, so it thought I should use standard deductions. I added the rest of the info later, and it changed it to itemized deductions. I think in that switch, line 10c didn't get cleared. There was a similar issue when it was checking for errors before sending, where it had me down for the $300 donation deduction for those who take the standard deduction, even though at that point I was itemizing.

fintek1
Returning Member

I gave up, they were in denial, and refunded all except state charge. None of their solutions worked so I did my taxes manually and mailed them in.  I then obtained a tax preparer, since they are so big you can never talk to a person and my taxes seem to be more than they can handle. Had to pay federal due to SALT, but got a state refund.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies