Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening NOW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Rejected 2019 return based on my deceased spouse's agi

If you prefer to eFile and do not want to print and mail, use a competitor's free file.  It is laborious to reenter everything.  It took me over an hour but using FreeTaxUSA.com their eFile submission was accepted by IRS in 10 minutes.  Every line on my 1040 and attached schedules was identical to my Turbo Tax print return.  I wish I had not spent the money on Turbo Delux!  I tried and failed with every suggestion listed above.  I do not understand why these Experts insist you must print and mail, Turbo Tax if their competitors can efile why can't they?

Mel, A Retired CPA  (I know the correct AGI!)

I thought I'd give a final update on my situation. I waited for a few weeks and tried again to submit my mothers (surviving spose) return via Turbotax and was again rejected by the feds and subsequently by the state,  since an accepted federal return is a prerequisite.  I didn't want to mail them so, like many others, I spent several hours resubmitting in FreeTaxUSA.  Both state and federal returns were quickly accepted.

I called Turbotax support to report my difficulties and ask for a refund of the $25 state filing fee.  After some initial resistance, and a complete denial that there was even an issue, they finally agreed to refund my filing fee. 

The problem is obviously not an incorrectly entered AGI since FreeTaxUSA canm handle it. I can accept that software can have glitches but I don't understand why Turbotax is burning goodwill with longtime customers by denying the problem and resisting efforts to obtain refunds. 

It is a problem within Turbo Tax's software. It is not the AGI that is the issue. At the end of your tax return it no longer provides the place for your spouse's self selected pin to be entered as a signature.  My husband passed away in December of 2019. I have faced the exact issue. There are other software systems utilized by various tax platforms that will work in this situation.

bts
Level 2

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement. After trying a few things I gave up after the fifth failure, printed the return and dropped it in the mail today. First time I've had to do that in quite a few years. I had no problem with my own federal and local returns, only my mom's return. At least for now, taxes are DONE! 🙂

jmll
Returning Member

I too was in the same boat as everyone else where my return was being rejected due to deceased spouses's prior agi/pin.  I looked at FreeTaxUSA, but they do not have an import for 1099-B transactions which is a must for me.  I ended up using TaxAct as they have the 1099-B import capability and I was able to input my wife's previous AGI, drivers license, and PIN and the returns were accepted.

I talked to support regarding the successful transmission using TaxAct, and had them refund the State e-file fee and Audit Defense.   They have notated other software is capable of successfully filing in this circumstance, however I am not sure whether they will fix their software.

Oh wow, I wish I had known about TaxAct!  I ended up spending hours plugging my 1099 numbers into FreeTaxUSA.  At least they had the running tally so I could compare with TT and find mistakes.

It did bring back memories of typing in computer programs from the back of Nibble and Compute's Gazette though...  A long lost skill 🙂

Also good to know that Customer Service will refund fees.  Others can use that fact as an anchor when seeking support

Despite the messaging received from TurboTax, I'm not so certain the problem is actually the deceased spouses AGI.  In fact, the actual message received in the rejection notice is "IND-032-04 - 'SpousePriorYearPIN' or 'SpousePriorYearAGIAmt' in the Return Header must match the e-File database."

I've double checked the prior year AGI, and it is correct.  I believe the problem is the prior year PIN #.  I went into the Forms View of TurboTax and reviewed the worksheet that is collecting the information needed for e-filing.  It shows both prior year PINs (mine and my deceased spouse's) as blank!  So I filled it in in the forms view and have attempted another e-file.  Still awaiting results.  If that doesn't work, then I'll looked into the suggestion of using FreeTaxUSA.  That's pretty infuriating, however.  My taxes are way more complex than usual this year, because in addition to losing my spouse I lost my last living parent, so I had many additional forms to fill out this year.  Things should be back to normal for me next year, but if TurboTax doesn't step up and look into fixing this, I won't ever use it again.

JMLL,

Does TaxAct import 1099-DIV information as well?  Yeah, those 1099-Bs were what prevented me from going with the free tax mentioned here.  No way I'll enter that stuff by hand.  Of course, next year, the joint filing with decedent won't be a problem, so even TT can handle it, but it really pisses me off that they are not dealing with this issue.  I mailed mine for the first time in decades.

jmll
Returning Member

I was able to import the consolidated Tax form from TD Ameritrade.  So it did import 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, 1099-B.  I noticed it didn't have a dropdown for Schwab, Vangaurd,  Fidelity which are some of my other accounts.  However I do most of my trading in TDA with close to 400 Options trades last year I would be here until next tax season trying to input all those in by hand.

I do give the nod to TT for ease of use and interface design over TaxAct,  and will be using TT next year.  Since, as you mentioned, this shouldn't be an issue after the first year.   

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Schwab, Vanguard, Fidelity, and TD Ameritrade are all available for downloading tax information.  If you have close to 400 option trades, there are sometimes problems importing that many trades.  So, instead of importing them, you may want enter that 1099-B manually, and use category totals. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jmll
Returning Member

David, you are correct,  all those institutions are available in TurboTax  which is why I will be using TT next year.  I was replying to the individual about a different program I had to use since this thread was regarding issues with tax forms being rejected by the fed while using TT  when you have a deceased spouse. 

Also good to know in category totals.  Thanks

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You're welcome.  Thanks for clarifying.  I'm glad I was able to provide some useful information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Tre47

My husband died last year and I have run into the same problem as those posting here.

Went to IRS websites, incl e File and found the problem in 5 minutes.  For those who have been long time Turbo Tax users, like myself and filed joint returns you may remember that efile required a PIN. 

There were two boxes, one for each spouse.

Apparently, last year the IRS stopped using those PIN numbers and required the AGI only.

(unless you have been a victim of fraud).  It seems that in that filing when you are reporting a death, there is a separation.  If still using PIN, wouldn't be an issue, but since they now use AGI it is.

If you look at e File, there is a place to enter the AGI for each spouse (which includes the deceased spouse and will be the same). 

Not sure if FreeTaxUSA has that feature which may be why some returns have gone through.

It's just that simple.  No problem in IRS database - just a security change Turbo Tax should have been well aware of.  It took me about 5 minutes to find it.

Turbo tax support told me out and out that it was an IRS problem or that I wasn't entering the number and should add "the cents" so it was exact.

But final suggestion if I couldn't get it to work, was to print and mail. 

Asked about refunding my $24.99 state filing fee (see others paid $19.99), and said I could "probably" call back and get a refund.  Not worried as disputing charge with my CC company will work just as well if money not refunded.  Know this doesn't fix any of your problems, but hope the explanation helps.

There are so many responses, and this may already have been suggested. The rejection notice that I keep receiving is ‘SpousePriorYearPin’ or ‘SpousePriorYearAGIAmount.’ These are different issues, but apparently coded the same. I really think the issue is not the AGI (After several attempts.) I have determined that the issue is the PIN. The tax form has “Filing as surviving spouse” on the deceased spouse’s signature line.  The IRS is looking for a PIN. The tax software is not providing the IRS with the deceased spouse’s PIN because it is not providing the deceased spouse’s signature. Because of this , the return will have to be mailed. 

You may be correct.  But if you are, why are TT's competitors efiles accepted with no PIN?  After my Turbo Tax efile was rejected, I efiled using a competitor service and ONLY provided AGI!  This issue is more complex than many suggest.  If their competitors can submit a file that is acceptable to IRS, why can't Turbo Tax!!  The quality of the submission is only as good as the data submitted!  In my opinion TT is submitting incorrect or incomplete data causing the rejections for taxpayers with a deceased spouse!

Mel S, Retired CPA

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies