turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HB88
Level 5

Recovery Rebate Credit - I did not receive the 2nd Covid-19 stimulus. Where in Turbotax can I apply for this. I only see the first payment option not second.

Where in turbotax can i submit I did not receive the 2nd round of stimulus payments? or is that something I will have to apply for in 2021 since technically the payment was made Jan 2021 even though some of us did not receive it.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Recovery Rebate Credit - I did not receive the 2nd Covid-19 stimulus. Where in Turbotax can I apply for this. I only see the first payment option not second.

The IRS will continue to make stimulus payments until February 5.  Continue to check the IRS Get My Payment website to see if a bank deposit is made or if a check or debit card is issued.  After February 12, if these is still no payment made then follow these steps to add the payment to your 2020 tax refund.

At the top of your tax return select Federal Review

Insert fed review pic

That will take you to this screen where it asks if you have already received your stimulus payments.  If you received the first or second payment already, then select Yes and fill in the information.  If you did not receive any payment select No.  If you received the first payment only, fill in that amount and put zero (0) for the second payment.

When the screen is correct, you refund will be adjusted for the amount of stimulus payment that will be added to your 2020 refund.

Insert Stim Pic here

View solution in original post

22 Replies
HB88
Level 5

I suspect you can't claim it for this year taxes and it is next, but would like someone smarter than me to confirm

The IRS will continue to make stimulus payments until February 5.  Continue to check the IRS Get My Payment website to see if a bank deposit is made or if a check or debit card is issued.  After February 12, if these is still no payment made then follow these steps to add the payment to your 2020 tax refund.

Insert fed review pic

That will take you to this screen where it asks if you have already received your stimulus payments.  If you received the first or second payment already, then select Yes and fill in the information.  If you did not receive any payment select No.  If you received the first payment only, fill in that amount and put zero (0) for the second payment.

When the screen is correct, you refund will be adjusted for the amount of stimulus payment that will be added to your 2020 refund.

Insert Stim Pic here

HB88
Level 5

Thank you for answering the question. However I don't have that screen. What I see is this.

We got a single payment

We each got a separate payment

We didn't get a payment.

So not sure why the turbotax is not updated to reflect what yours is showing.

HB88
Level 5

An update resolved this. Thank you for the response. This should be at the top of this forum.

Remember that the IRS will continue to make stimulus payments until February 5.  Continue to check the IRS Get My Payment website to see if a bank deposit is made or if a check or debit card is issued.  After February 12, if these is still no payment made then follow these steps to add the payment to your 2020 tax refund.

Insert fed review pic

Insert Stim Pic here

HB88
Level 5

If the check arrives and it is not cashed or used I assume that will be fine if I rather just do my taxes and take care of it now rather than hope and wait for a check that may never arrive or get lost.

My understanding is if it is not cashed or returned to the IRS in the case where my old bank account was closed and the payment was returned than no need to worry if you claim it in taxes but not take the payments if they show up in the mail later.

IRS will not even start to look at your return until Feb 12. Why SUBMIT before then ?

HB88
Level 5

Why wait, if you can get it out the way and have all your documents why wait longer. If you are due a refund you will get it faster, not that it is the driver, but I flip the script and ask you why wait if you have everything you need to file early?

I am not sure why you are seeing the screen that you describe.  I would recommend you use the Chrome browser and clear browsing data for all time before you sign in to TurboTax.  

If that does not work, please let me know which version of TurboTax you are using and also which browser.

HB88
Level 5

I'm using Desktop version, it required a TurboTax update to show the same option you posted.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, 

I am using the IRS Free File Program. I was claimed as a dependent on my mother's 2019 tax returns and did not receive any stimulus checks because of it, however for 2020 I was no longer a dependent and should qualify. I do not see the option to state whether I received any stimulus checks or not. I am using TurboTax in Google Chrome. Please let me know if I missed something.

Thanks!

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

If you don't receive your stimulus payment by the time you file your tax return, you can make an adjustment on your 2020 tax return for stimulus payments you qualify for, but have not received. 

To do this in the IRS FreeFile program by TurboTax, please follow these steps:

1. Enter the information in your return.
  2. Click Federal Review at the top of your screen. [See screenshot below.]
  3. On the screen, Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  4. You will be asked about the amounts of first round and second round stimulus payments you received
  5. TurboTax will then calculate the amount of stimulus payment remaining that you are still entitled to.  This will show as a credit on line 30 of the 1040.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response. Once I click Federal Review it says my return is in great shape then takes me to my total refund summary. I do not get the option to enter in any info/or answer any questions about the stimulus checks. Am I missing a step? Should I completely start over? 

I appreciate the help!

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 10.06.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-26 at 10.06.03 AM.png

Yes, you should go back and re-enter the information about your stimulus checks.  To get to the section, type stimulus in the search box and Jump to stimulus.

Then you will tell the software the amounts that you received in the form of a check or direct deposit (if any).

If you don't know the amounts, you can get them from the IRS website by logging into your IRS tax account. Here is a link.

@Anonymous

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies