turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received SSA-1099 for nephew as guardian. Are his benefits included in my tax return?

SSA-1099 is in his name, received after death of his parents. Another box shows "nephew's name, FOR my name". Should his SSA-1099 be included?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Received SSA-1099 for nephew as guardian. Are his benefits included in my tax return?

You do not enter a dependent's SSA-1099 on your tax return.  If the dependent has no other income they do not report the benefits received on a tax return.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

You do not enter a dependent's SSA-1099 on your tax return.  If the dependent has no other income they do not report the benefits received on a tax return.

Thank you - And if i do not claim him as a dependent? Same thing?

@n1njah wrote:

Thank you - And if i do not claim him as a dependent? Same thing?

Yes, same thing.  You do not report his SSA-1099 on your tax return.  Only if you are married and filing jointly with your spouse would you enter both your SSA-1099 and your spouse's SSA-1099 on one tax return, no one else's benefits are reported on your tax return.

Does he have any other income?  If they only get SS, SSDI or a SSA-1099 they don't have to file a return and nobody reports it.  But if he needs to file a return for other income like W2 or 1099Misc he needs to report the SSA-1099 on his return.

Thanks!

No he doesn't have any other income. Thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies