turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mua2021
Returning Member

Received a 1099-k from PayPal with an address of Virginia (my old house) but I was living in MASS in 2020

does this money count as "other state income"? what should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Received a 1099-k from PayPal with an address of Virginia (my old house) but I was living in MASS in 2020

If you haven't already done it, change your address with PayPal.   Ask them to reissue a new 1099-K with your Massachusetts address.    Once you've made the change with Paypal you should be able to file your taxes without having to wait for the new form.   It will no longer be considered income from another state.   I also got a 1099-K from Paypal.  So if you need any other help, let me know.  Good Luck.

mua2021
Returning Member

hey thanks man. I just texted PayPal - hope they give me a new 1099-K.

One more thing. the 1099-k from PayPal I got is $712 - this money is refund for the items I bought and returned personally.

What's the best way to report this kind of 1099-K from PayPal? I don't want to pay taxes on it.

That is strange1  Paypal should not be issuing you a 1099-K for refunds, only for payments you received for sales.   Did you sell anything via Paypal last year?

Both Virginia and Massachusetts require PayPal to issue a 1099-K to you if they make payments totaling more that $600 to you. If this was a refund you have no reporting requirement.

This info may help: https://www.mass.gov/service-details/frequently-asked-questions-about-form-1099-k-notices-from-third...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies