Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

ES
Level 1

If my disallowed wash sale loss is less than one dollar, how do I enter it? TurboTax won't accept it.

THIS IS FOR ANYONE THAT IMPORTED THEIR ROBINHOOD DOCS AND HAD WASH OF UNDER $1 THAT ULTIMATELY FLAGS AND WON'T LET YOU PROCEED WITH E-FILE

I discovered that even if I change it to $1 after it has flagged, it keeps making me cycle through like others have complained about.  You have to go back to the original income part and edit Robinhood.  Once in there, find the sections that have the wash info for the various business transactions that are flagging and change it to $1.00.  From there when you do the 'final check' part it will let you past.  It didn't change my total tax refund since I was already past the benefit limit anyways.  Hopefully this saves a bunch of people a complete PITA defect in the software.

If my disallowed wash sale loss is less than one dollar, how do I enter it? TurboTax won't accept it.

I just spent the past 4 hours working on this issue, read every single thread. Not a single thing worked for me, I did it all. Nothing worked. Finally, what I did was delete the info that I’d uploaded from Robinhood. Entered in myself, simply 3 different numbers. (I had around 600 transactions throughout the year).  It will ask you to upload the 1099-B form, I downloaded my 1099-B through Robinhood and uploaded that into my return to verify the numbers and to be linked with my taxes filed. Worked perfect, I’m done. Hope this helps, there is no other way that would work for me. So you can still E-file around this issue. 

Had this same issue and had to go back and delete the form and manually go in and edit the wash sale fields. This is a huge headache given the amount there are. As others have mentioned if you try to edit it on the review page it straight up doesn't work. The frustrating thing is that turbo tax made me upgrade to even file this form and then have to spend all afternoon manually editing it all. This is definitely my last year with turbo tax as it's not much more money to just pay someone to do it for you

I wasted a huge amount of time to only end up mailing my returns in.

I don't know if it was because I was using a MAC desktop or not.  Are people using Microsoft having the same problem?  When I had agent on the phone and doing an (At a glance) screen I was directed to do things that were not showing up on my screen.

@JoelMG303 You deleted the information you uploaded from Robinhood? What information was that exactly?  Was it the 1099-B? Later, you said you downloaded the 1099-B from Robinhood and uploaded it.

Did you delete the  1099-B just to re-upload it again? That's not clear to me

I initially imported my 1099-B from Robinhood onto turbo tax using my account number and so forth to automatically merge the info into Turbo Tax. This allows every single transaction to show up on your return. But because of that, I ran into the issue with the wash sales not being able to be altered from 2 transactions throughout the year. 
So after wasting 4 hours trying to workout the issue, I went back to my income section, deleted the Robinhood info that I uploaded automatically and opted to enter it in manually. Basically started over on the stock section. When you do this, TurboTax will ask you to also upload a PDF version of your 1099-B to be attached with your return. 

GotSubb

So I figured out how to easily fix this where you do not have to look for a needle in a haystack. If you go to the error where it shows the 0. Scroll all the way up it will give you the stock info. 

Example: 85254J102 STAG INDUSTRIAL, INC. 30

Then go to your transactions, and you can easily locate the stock you need to 0 out by using the first number (85254J102 ) and the last number (30) 

If you have multiple it will give you the same error with a different stock to locate. I had 3 total and was way faster then going through every page 1 at a time. 

So I had this same issue.

Here's how I fixed it:

I wrote down the stock name that the wash sale form was popping up for (in my case it was Tesla) Each sale of that stock had a unique name, mine was tesla 002 or something, and the proceeds were 9.00 so I remembered that.

I then went into my income and manually edited the sale of that stock. Once inside the actual sale, I spotted the wash sale being listed at .29 which was giving turbotax the bug, so I rounded it down to zero (I could have went with 1). Then I wrapped up my income again and finally went back to review and thankfully the issue didn't pop back up and I could finally file.

Hope this helps others.

arp2195

I am having the same issue, I remove it and place a blank but the issue keeps reverting back to 0.

@arp2195 read the previous post. There are a few work arounds to get you through it.

This bug is also present on the desktop version of Turbo Tax. Tech Support was of no help.

jtlaws

I was having the same trouble until I decided to delete my auto-populated forms and choose to "enter myself." As such, if you have more than 3 sales, you can opt to enter sales totals, thereby circumnavigating individual entries being logged (avoiding the single entry that is less than $1 and being rejected by Turbo Tax). You will just need to check the box to acknowledge that you need to edit the form. From there, you can enter your total sales figure and select (W) to identify it as the disallowed wash sale total, which will again include the single entry that is less than $1 and, of course, glitching on Turbo Tax. I had success with this approach, and my figures aligned properly, matching all documentation. Good luck, all!

I think there's a bug in the system. Its not saving my entry and its not letting me continue. 

For me it was a hopeless battle.  Gave up and filed paper by mail.

I'm dropping my returns at the Post Office tomorrow.  I really wanted to eFile. Can't believe this bug is still present after so many have reported it on this forum.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies