Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Form 7206 cannot be efiled!

This is VERY simple.  

Online TT works and you can E-File with the 7206
HR Block works and you can E-File with the 7206
Desktop TT DOES NOT WORK and you cannot file with the 7206

Clearing your cache does nothing.  Re-installing your desktop software does nothing.  Deleting the 7206 does nothing.

We are waiting for TT to fix this bug like they did with their online version and send out a new update.  I am hearing Thursday of next week is the target date but I hope it comes in earlier.

I am going to wait until Thursday.  If TT doesnt fix this, I am simply going to move my return to  the online version even if that means I buy TT again and file that way.  

Your fix didn’t work for me.  It sounds like TT is going to fix this.  If they do not, I am going to remove my Sch C and worksheets and efile it.  Then about April 12 I will send in a 1040X with the small amount due.

Hopefully, they will realize this is a serious flaw and fix it!

The only way I've been able to delete form 7206,  is by taking out the amount I paid for health insurance in the STEP by STEP part - ie making it zero. Then form 7206 is not generated.

But since I have a self employed deduction for 2023, I'd like to the deduction!!!

This is a turbo tax issue. 

Per the IRS exceptions (I read them) , and posts here, sounds like many of us do NOT actually need a 7206 but Turbo tax is generating it anyway and not allowing us to efile....

my token is 1178503.  I am getting the message that i can't efile because of form 7206.  my turbotax software updated this morning when I opened the software

That's my conclusion, also.  My situation doesn't actually need a 7206, but rather it's TT current code that thinks it does.  I'm trying to wait until they wake up and realize that, because I don't want to give up getting a savings of over $1000 for the insurance deduction.

If that is necessary, it should be free!

Surely they will fix this!  If not, some of us who have very complex returns and don’t want to run the risk of a key-punch error upon input will be forced to remove the insurance deduction, e-file and then amend for the refund.  An awful lot of work to fix their bug!

From what source did you learn that next Thursday is the target to fix the Form 7206 mess?

Not doubting you at all. But if that’s correct, why hasn’t TT been up front about it and communicated with those of us that signed-up for updates on their mess?

I have no inside info on Thursday.  Just what I read on this thread about people contacting TT and thats what they are being told.  I am somewhat skeptical this will get done but I am using Thursday as my own personal cut off date to move to Online TT and just file that way and just spend the extra $ for the online version.

I get the sense that TT does major releases on Thursday.  That is pretty normal for software companies to have weekly releases.  But absolutely nothing concrete that they are planning on fixing this on Thursday.  Nothing official from TT.

The entire thing is ridiculous.  TT fixes the online version but not the desktop version?  Just very poor customer service for a bug this big and impactful.  

Sueteague

Number 1178556

cannot efile due to form 7206

The IRS instructions about when to use form 7206 are a bit cryptic (surprise!). When I first read "multiple sources of income" I thought it would not apply as I only have one consulting business. But later it mentioned the you need one form 7206 for each business.

From that I guess that you need form 7206 if you received more than one 1099 or have a 1099 and other income without a 1099 to be required to file.

Unless someone has only one customer/client in their business, they probably and unfortunately have to file this form...

Could it be....

Could it be that TT is dragging the CD/Download fix out, with the plan to push people to move to the on-line version?  I've used TT for literally for over a decade, and hope that they are above that.

Me, too.

I have updated and still receive the error. When will TurboTax resolve this error?

@Phoibos  ya.... when it comes to interpreting IRS rules they sure seem to leave a lot of "GRAY" between the Black & White of the text from time to time!!

My read/interpretation (I am NOT a CPA or Tax Professional) was that multiple sources of SELF-EMPLOYED income is what they were targeting... so that you didn't leverage a deduction more than once!  i.e. they don't want you claiming the deduction three times because you run three different business.  This seemed to me the most logical explanation of the reading.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies