Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cloise02

Questions about the estimated tax payments. It is the amount withheld from my salary right? and do I have to be accurate in how much I've paid so far for refund?

I'm not sure how to put it in. Is being accurate better to have the possibility of refund or will they recalculate it and I would get a refund regardless?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Questions about the estimated tax payments. It is the amount withheld from my salary right? and do I have to be accurate in how much I've paid so far for refund?

No, estimated tax payments are not what is withheld from your salary. Estimated tax payments are additional payments that you send directly to the IRS yourself, usually quarterly. You would typically do that if you have significant income from which no tax is withheld, such as business or self-employment income, or capital gains. If you did not make any estimated tax payments, don't enter anything.

The money that is withheld from your salary is called withholding, not estimated tax. TurboTax will get the correct amount of tax withheld from box 2 of your W-2.

Not completely sure what you’re asking but if you’re an employee and you completed your W-4 accurately then your withholding through your employer should take care of your tax liability. 

Generally, taxpayers do not want to pay penalties because they paid in less taxes during the year than required so here are the Federal Rules

There will be no federal penalties in 2024 for not paying in enough taxes during the year if withholding
1) and timely estimated tax payments equal or exceed 90% of your 2023 tax or
2) and timely estimated tax payments equal or exceed 100% of your 2023 tax (110% if your 2023 adjusted gross income was more than $150K) or
3) the balance due after subtracting taxes withheld from 90% of your 2024 tax is less than $1,000 or
4) your total taxes are less than $1,000

unless either 3 or 4 are met the lower of 1 or 2 is your required annual income tax payment. 1, 3 and 4 are difficult to know until the year-end so generally 2 is the safest option. under the simplified method 25% of the taxes must be paid in each quarter by 4/15, 6/15, 9/15 and 1/15/25. Unless you can show otherwise 25% of your annual withholding is assumed to occur in each quarter while estimated tax payments are paid on the date postmarked (if not using an office postal meter - then the IRS uses the date received) 

failing this and being subject to penalties you can use the annualized installment income method.
this method requires knowing your income and deductions thru 3/31, then 5/31, then 8/31, and finally tear end which should be the same as the tax return. the income is annualized. taxes are computed on the annualized income and then de- annualized. your tax payments for each period must equal or exceed these amounts to avoid penalties.

Just enter the numbers from your W-2 carefully. check for accuracy.

If you made an Estimated Tax payment, you would know it since you must take action to make it happen.

@cloise02 

cloise02

Thank you everyone!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies