turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Problems using the e-file and payment

I was in the process of e-filing my returns and paying for Audit Defense. I could not complete the forms because of problems with the display resolution. My forms and payments are now past-due. What do I do?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

e-filing is now closed. you'll have to print and mail in your return. no penalties for late filing if you don't owe.

f_d_alexander 

EDITED:   10/15/2021 at 11:00 PM Pacific

OOPS!!  I wrote the message below too quickly.  It is for ONLINE TurboTax, and may not apply to your desktop product.   If you missed the deadline, you'll just have to try and see if your desktop product lets you efile.  It might not, but can't hurt to try.   Sorry for any confusion.

Original Message below is for ONLINE TurboTax. 

With Online TurboTax you can probably still try to efile even if late.   This FAQ makes it sound like efiling in Online TurboTax is still possible until October 29.

FAQ:  What if I missed the October 15 filing deadline?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/filing-and-paying-taxes/help/what-if-i-missed-the-october-15-filin...

If you owe Federal taxes due, and if you efile late, there could be an IRS tax penalty.   If you are due a Federal refund, there is no penalty for a late Federal return.   Probably likewise for a state return, although state rules can vary.

@f_d_alexander 

I revised the answer above since it dawned on me (from your mention of "display resolution") that you are likely using desktop software (CD/download) and not Online TurboTax.   The answer I left was for Online TurboTax.

If you're using desktop software, you'll just have to see if it will let you efile after you missed the deadline, or whether you encounter a roadblock telling you it's too late.    I don't know how strict it is; i.e., a hard deadline or not.    If you try to efile, please report back if it was successful or not.

Again, I apologize for the confusion.

Manage cookies